Page tree

Matriculation And Class Status

Students officially matriculated in Baruch’s graduate programs are allowed to register for courses. Once admitted to a graduate program (this includes the period between acceptance by and registration at Baruch), students cannot take undergraduate courses in order to waive 9000-level preliminary requirements. Concurrent acceptance to and enrollment in a second undergraduate degree program and a graduate-level program are not permitted. Withdrawal from one program is a condition for admission to or continued registration in another program.

Academic Advisement


The Office of Graduate Programs provides administrative and curricular services to students enrolled in programs in the Zicklin School of Business. 

For advisement:
Full-Time MBA:; 646-312-3130
Evening MBA General:; 646-312-3132
Evening MBA Accountancy and MS Accountancy:; 646-312-3140
MS Programs:; 646-312-3140


Advisement for students in the Arts Administration,  Financial Engineering, Corporate Communication, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and Mental Health Counseling graduate programs is provided by members of the faculty. Appointments can be made through the Office of Graduate Studies at 646-312-4490.


The Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions provides administrative and curricular services to graduate students enrolled in programs in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs. Students entering programs in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs will receive an evaluation of preliminary course requirements to aid in their first registration at Baruch. During the first semester of attendance, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor from the office to prepare a program for the remaining course of study. The program is a plan of study devised by the student in consultation with the advisor regarding the courses to be completed for the degree. For information regarding student services, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions, Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, at 646-660-6750.


Measles, Mumps, Rubella Immunization

ID Cards

Program Load

A program of four 9000-level courses (12 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load. A program load of three 9000-level courses (9 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for the following Weissman School of Arts and Sciences programs: MA in Arts Administration; MA in Corporate Communication; MS in Financial Engineering; and MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. A program load of nine (9) credits is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for Zicklin School of Business MBA and MS students. Students in Zicklin's full-time cohort MBA program and executive program will adhere to the cohort structure of these programs. Six credits is the maximum full-time load each summer session. Registration for credits in excess of these limits will not be permitted without advance approval by the school dean. Generally, 6 to 8 credits is the recommended course load for students working 35 hours or more per week.

Students are expected to enroll in courses that are required to complete their degree. Enrollment in courses outside the required program is subject to availability of space.

Hours and Credits

As a recognized higher education provider in the State of New York, Baruch College is bound by the New York Department of Education's rules and regulations regarding assignment of credit hours. Statements in this Bulletin regarding a certain number of class hours or credits refer to the number of weekly class hours (or their equivalent). Thus a listing that reads "3 hours, 3 credits" means that the course will meet for one 150-minute class hour each week for 14 weeks, exclusive of the final examination, or for some other scheduling pattern that equates to 2,100 minutes (1 meeting x 150 minutes x 14 weeks) during the term. Every weekly hour of lecture or recitation meeting for 14 weeks is equal to one semester hour of credit. The same is true for the following: a) two weekly hours of laboratory work, b) two weekly hours of supervised fieldwork, c) three hours of unsupervised honors work, or d) three hours of unsupervised fieldwork. Exceptions to this general rule may apply to certain programs or courses. 

Program Changes


Students who have chosen a major field or a degree objective and wish to change it at a later date may do so, subject to the approval of the appropriate graduate office. Students on F-1 and J-1 visas must also see the International Student Service Center for appropriate approvals to remain in status.

Students who change their degree objective or major field will be subject to the admission requirements of the new curriculum pertaining to the new major field, including core and preliminary requirements. Courses successfully completed under the student’s original program may be transferred to the new program only if they are applicable. Academic deficiencies are carried over from one program to another (e.g., a student on probation under the original program remains on probation under the new program).

If a student’s new major carries a different degree objective, the student must file an application for a change in degree objective in the appropriate graduate office and, if necessary, take the appropriate admission test. Once accepted for the new degree, the student should make an appointment with an advisor in the appropriate graduate office and request a new program.


A required (approved) program may not be changed without written permission from the appropriate graduate office and school dean.

To change required (approved) courses, students complete an Application for Program Revision Form and file it with their graduate office. A copy of the revised program will be sent to the student after it has been approved.

Program changes should be made prior to registering for courses.

Qualifying Examinations/Waivers

Students who feel that they have sufficient background in any of the preliminary requirements but have not had the courses waived may apply to take a written qualifying examination. The application may be obtained at the appropriate graduate studies office. Students pay the listed fee, return the completed form to the appropriate graduate office, and contact the department for the time and place of the examination.

A grade of C- or better is required to waive 8000-level preliminary requirement courses. A grade of B- or better is required to waive 9000-level preliminary requirement courses.

A qualifying examination may not be repeated. Students are not eligible to take a qualifying examination in a graduate course they have taken at Baruch and failed.

Transfer of Credit for Graduate Work and Permit Status

Students may request to transfer up to 12 credits of course work. The Weissman Masters in Mental Health Counseling Program does not accept transfer credits. Zicklin MBA students following the 57-credit MBA should review prior bulletins for the transfer credit policy. Zicklin Evening MBA students following the 48-credit MBA may not transfer more than 9 credits of course work towards functional skills and elective courses (none towards foundational). MBA in accountancy students may transfer up to 14 credits, with no more than two courses (6–8 credits) applied toward the major (none towards foundational). Zicklin Full-Time MBA students may transfer up to 9 credits of electives only (none towards foundational or functional).    Zicklin MS students may not transfer more than two courses (no more than 8 credits) toward their degree requirements. MPA students may not transfer courses toward their core requirements. Courses must have been completed within five years of a student’s enrollment at Baruch College. All students should consult their appropriate graduate office for advisement.

  • For Zicklin MBA and MS students, only graduate-level courses completed in institutions accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business will be considered for transfer credit toward the MBA and MS degrees in the Zicklin School of Business.
  • Only graduate-level courses completed in NASPAA accredited institutions will be considered for transfer credit toward an MPA degree. 
  • A grade of B or better is required in courses for which transfer credit is sought. (However, grades earned at other institutions are not included in computing the scholastic average at Baruch College.) 
  • Graduate courses completed as part of one graduate degree may not be used for credit toward another graduate degree. 
  • In general, course credit is transferable only if a course is equivalent to one given at Baruch College.
  • Once a student is admitted to Baruch College, permission to take a course at another institution must be obtained prior to registration at that institution. Students should allow sufficient time to have their request reviewed.
  • Baruch College students who wish to take course(s) at another City University of New York institution must apply using the e-Permit system in CUNYfirst. They will be informed of the progress of their permit request throughout the approval process via email. If a request is rejected, they will be notified of the reason for the rejection. Tuition for approved CUNY permit courses is paid to the home college. Grades for courses taken on permit at another CUNY college are posted on the home transcript and are counted in the computation of their GPA.
  • Baruch College students who wish to take a course at a non-CUNY institution must submit an Outgoing Non-CUNY Permit application through the Office of the Registrar.
  • In general, students in the Zicklin School of Business may not receive transfer credit for graduate courses completed in other CUNY units. 
  • Students matriculated at Baruch College are not permitted to take courses at other institutions if the courses are being offered at Baruch in the same semester. 
  • Permission to take courses at other institutions does not extend the period within which requirements for a degree must be met. 
  • Only students in good academic standing (3.0 GPA and no unresolved INC grades) will be allowed to take courses at other institutions. 
  • Applications for transfer of credit can be obtained at the appropriate graduate offices. The application must be approved by a graduate advisor and the school dean.

Leave of Absence

When a student intends to interrupt studies at Baruch College and not do work at any other institution, he or she is on a leave of absence. During the period in which the leave of absence is in effect, the student may take no course work, may receive no credits for any course work, and may not graduate. However, work toward the completion of an incomplete grade (INC) may be done during a leave of absence.

Re-Entry to The College

Students who interrupt their graduate studies for one or more semesters must file for re-entry using the following form: Re-entry form  prior to the term in which they plan to return. The six-year time period for completion of the requirements for the master’s degree will be extended no more than two semesters for such nonattendance.

If the original six-year period and two additional semesters have expired, the student must apply to the appropriate graduate committee on academic standing for a time extension. In some instances, an extension of time may require a review of the student’s original program for currency of subject matter. Additional courses may be required to complete the degree.

Resignation or Withdrawal

Students who enroll for courses and find it impossible to continue with one or more of the courses must withdraw using CUNYfirst self-service. Failure to properly withdraw from a course will result in an F grade.

Students who drop all courses during the refund period must file a re-entry application. If this occurs during the student’s first semester, the student will need to file a new application with the appropriate office of graduate admissions.  International students need to obtain approval from the International Student Service Center prior to dropping any course.

Extension of Time Limit For Degree

Currently enrolled students who find that they will not be able to complete the degree requirements within the specified time limit (six years) and who wish an extension must apply for an extension of the time limit with the appropriate graduate office; the reason for the extension and the length of time required must be indicated in the request. The request must be approved by the appropriate graduate committee on academic standing

Graduation Requirements


A graduate student must file an Application for Graduation for their degree prior to their last semester in which all the requirements for the degree will be completed. This application can be filed at the Registrar’s Office or using the application within CUNYFirst (see Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes for due dates). While applications submitted after the deadline for a semester will be processed, the names of degree candidates who submit late applications in the spring semester will not appear in the Commencement Program. A student cannot be recommended for the degree at the close of the semester without having submitted an application.

An application for a degree will not be carried forward from one semester to the next. A new application card must be filed for the term in which the degree is actually awarded.

A master’s degree shall normally require a minimum of one academic year of full-time graduate-level study, or its equivalent in part-time study, with an accumulation of not less than 30 semester hours.


Students must maintain matriculated status during the semester in which they obtain their degree if they are not registered for courses.

They must contact the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to take their degree. After a review of the student’s record the student will be charged the maintenance of matriculation fee and a re-entry application fee.

Second-Degree Application

Students who wish to take additional courses after meeting their original degree requirements must file a new application for admission to graduate school. Students who have completed an MBA degree and who wish to take additional courses should consider one of the MS programs, an MPA, MSEd, MIA or the Post-Master’s Certificate Program. Students applying for a second degree must meet current admission requirements.

Grading System*

Baruch uses a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) calculation to determine a student’s academic standing. All grades for 9000- level courses are used in calculating the GPA.


Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy for the Spring 2020 Semester

As part of The City University of New York’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, during the Spring 2020 semester, all students shall have the option to convert any or all of the (A-F) letter grades they earn in their classes, to Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) grading.

  1. During the Spring 2020 semester, all students shall have the option to convert any or all of the (A-F) letter grades, including plus or minus variations, they earn in their classes, to Credit/No Credit grading.
  2. Students shall be able to make this decision up to 20 business days after the University’s final grade submission deadline. Once selected, the Credit/No Credit option cannot be cannot be reversed.
  3. If a student chooses to exercise this option, a passing letter grade (A, B, C, or D including +/-) will convert to ‘CR’ with credit for the class being awarded, while a failing grade (F) will convert to ‘NC’, with no credit awarded. Credit/No Credit grades will not impact the student’s GPA.
  4. Courses taken for a letter grade will continue to be included in the semester and general GPA, while courses taken for a Credit/Non-credit grade will be excluded, just as is the case with such courses taken at a student’s home institution.
  5. If a student exercises the option of Credit/No Credit, the Credit (CR) grade will not negatively impact the student’s satisfactory progress toward degree completion.
  6. Students with Credit/No Credit grades will be able to transfer those courses across colleges within CUNY, per current CUNY policy.
  7. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy shall apply to coursework completed on Permit and will not affect Board of Trustees Policy 1.14 – Policy on Coursework Completed on Permit.
  8. Students placed on academic probation by their institution at the start of the Spring 2020 semester shall not be penalized with academic dismissal based upon their grades earned this semester.
  9. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy shall not affect the University standards of student retention and progress in accordance with Board of Trustees Policy 1.26.
  10. Before choosing this grading option for one or more of their classes, students shall consult with their academic and financial aid advisors regarding potential impact to their financial aid, licensure requirements, and graduate school admissions.
  11. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy shall supersede and override all undergraduate and graduate program-level grading policies currently in effect at CUNY colleges and schools, including those related to required and elective courses within the major, minor, general education (Pathways), pre-requisite courses, honors courses, courses taken on permit and maximum number of credits that a student can earn with Credit/No Credit grades.
  12. The grade glossary, attached to each transcript, will be updated to include a notation denoting that all Spring 2020 grades, including CR or NC, were earned during a major disruption to instruction as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  13. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy shall apply to all CUNY colleges and schools, except the School of Law and the School of Medicine, which may develop their own Pass/Fail policies, subject to approval of the Board of Trustees, to conform to norms in legal and medical education.
  14. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy, which shall be effective April 1, 2020, applies to the Spring 2020 semester only and that the Chancellor, may, in his discretion, to meet public health emergency policies and practices, extend this policy to future semesters, if necessary and report such extension to the Board of Trustees immediately.
  15. The Special COVID-19 Flexible Grading Policy shall be codified in the Manual of General Policy as Policy 1.4. and cannot be overwritten by any individual units of the University, including presidents, provosts, or college councils.
  16. The policy will remain in effect for the Spring 2020 semester and will be reviewed by the Chancellor and extended as necessary to meet public health emergency policies and practices.



Grades for graduate courses are indicated as follows:

GradeQuality Value Per Credit
A4.0 grade points
A-3.7 grade points
B+3.3 grade points
B3.0 grade points
B-2.7 grade points
C+2.3 grade points

2.0 grade points

C-1.7 grade points
F0.0 grade points

The grade of F is computed in the GPA. A failed course must be repeated if it is a required course in the student’s program. Students who repeat a failed course and earn a grade of B- or better may petition to drop the grade of F from the computation of the grade point average; the grade of F will remain on the transcript. Only one F grade may be dropped from the calculation of the grade point average. Request may be submitted to the Registrar's Office.

*Grades of D and D+ are not assigned to graduate courses.

WWithdrew without penalty within a specified period (see the Baruch College Academic Calendar).
WAAdministrative withdrawal (no academic penalty). Given to new students who fail to comply with New York Public Health Law 2165 within the announced grace period.
WNNever attended.
AUDNo credit.
INCStudent must be doing passing work to obtain instructor’s permission for this grade. The grade must be resolved by the end of the final examination period of the subsequent semester, or it becomes a grade of FIN, the equivalent of F.
NCNo credit. Used for courses taken under the pass/ no credit option. Also used to indicate the student received a course grade below C-. The course must be repeated in order to receive credit. Not included in the GPA.
PPassing. Valid grade for courses taken under the pass/no credit option. Grades of P are not calculated in the GPA, but credits earned are counted toward the degree.
PENGrade pending (used when a grade is under review for possible infraction of academic integrity standards).

Once filed, a grade can be changed only on the recommendation of the instructor. Such recommendation must have the approval of the department chairperson and the appropriate school dean. Once a grade has been submitted, students may not do extra work to improve that grade.


Students may elect to take one course for degree credit to be graded on a pass/no credit basis. The pass/no credit option cannot be used for courses in the student’s major or specialization.

  • To exercise the P/NC option, the student must register for the course in the usual manner and apply at the Registrar’s Office no later than the third week of the semester (see Baruch College Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes). 
  • The grade of P or NC is not computed in the grade point average.
  • If a grade of NC is received in a core or required course, the student must repeat the course. The course may be repeated only once and for a P/NC grade only. 
  • If a grade of NC is received in an elective course, the student may either repeat the course or select another course; in both cases, a conventional grade will be assigned. 
  • The P/NC option is applied by the Registrar’s Office; the instructor is not informed of the student’s decision. 
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs: MPA, MIA, and  MSEd in higher education administration students may use the P/NC option for one elective course only. The option does not apply to the Capstone Seminar Courses (PAF 9190 and PAF 9390). MSEd in Educational Leadership and SBL students are allowed to use the P/NC option for any one course in their degree program. 
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences: MS in industrial and organizational psychology students may use the P/NC option for any course in addition to thesis courses. Thesis courses are graded only on a P/NC basis. MA students may elect to use the P/NC option for electives or required courses within the degree program.
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Zicklin School of Business: MBA students are not permitted to use the P/NC option for core, major, foundational, or functional skills courses, but they may use the option for one elective course. Students following the 57-credit MBA who use the P/NC option and then change their major or pursue a second major cannot apply a course previously graded P/NC toward their new major or petition to withdraw the option. Students cannot apply a P/NC to a graded course in accountancy or taxation used toward CPA requirements. MS students may not use the P/NC option.


The following illustration shows how a student who has attempted 27 credits should compute his/her grade point average on a 4.0 basis.

Grade Value Indexible CreditsGrade Points

*Includes unresolved INC grades

Divide the total grade points by the total indexible credits to obtain the grade point average: 85.8/27 = 3.17 on 27 indexible credits.


A registered student in good academic standing may attend classes as an auditor.

The student must request this status at the Registrar's Office before registering for the course. The student will receive the grade AUD: no credit is granted, the course cannot be repeated for credit at a later date, nor can it be converted to a letter grade at a later date. Full tuition is applicable. Instructors are advised that auditors are not required to complete any of the assignments in their courses. 

Students may apply to audit a course during Late Registration only. This ensures that students who need the course for their degree programs are given priority.


Students must be doing passing work to obtain an instructor’s permission to receive a grade of incomplete (INC).

A grade of incomplete (INC) received in the fall semester must be resolved by the end of the following spring semester. A grade of INC received in the spring semester or summer term must be resolved by the end of the following fall semester.

Students who receive this grade may not register for or attend (“sit in”) the course in the following semester.

To resolve incomplete (INC) grades issued for missing course work, the student should meet with the instructor and arrange to complete the requirements for a letter grade before the expiration of the following semester.

Make-up exams will be given during the midterm and final exam periods. Refer to the Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes for application deadlines.

An unresolved INC grade will be converted to FIN and calculated as an F in the computation of the cumulative GPA after the grace period.


Cross-listed courses cannot be taken for credit more than once without prior approval. The existence of a cross-listed course is indicated by a parenthetical course number that follows the departmental course number and precedes the course title.

Scholarship Requirements

A student who is accepted for graduate work at Baruch College is required to maintain an average of B (3.0 GPA) in all graduate courses taken.

While every effort is made to keep the students informed of their academic standing, it is the students’ responsibility to adhere to these regulations.

Students who have completed the credits required for the degree with an average below 3.0 must have written permission from their dean to take any additional course work. Additional course work beyond 6 credits will not be permitted.

Grades in preliminary courses that have been waived may never be used to improve the GPA.

Grades received in required 8000-level courses are not included in the grade point average. These courses may not be used as elective credits. All 9000-level courses taken outside of the official program will be calculated into the GPA, although credits may not be counted toward fulfilling degree requirements. Grades in courses that duplicate prior course work will not be counted in the GPA.


Students are considered to be on academic probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated below:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
6 and above3.0

Students on probation will be dismissed if, after attempting a maximum of 12 additional credits, their cumulative grade point average remains below the required 3.0. In addition, a grade point average greater than or equal to 3.0 per semester must be maintained during the 12 credits of probation. Students on academic probation whose grade point average falls below 3.0 will be dismissed whether or not 12 credits have been completed. INC grades are not permitted.

Students in the MBA, MIA, MPA, MS, and MSEd programs are expected to adhere to the general policies governing academic probation. The following exceptions apply to students in the Executive programs in MBA, MPA, and MS:


Students are considered to be on probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
9 (one trimester) and above3.0

Students will be dismissed if, after a maximum of two trimesters (18 credits) on probation, their academic performance remains below the acceptable level.


Students are considered to be on probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
9 and above3.0

Students will be dismissed if, after a maximum of 12 credits on probation, their academic performance remains below the acceptable level.

Graduate Committees on Academic Standing

Veteran's Benefits Information

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

·         Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;

·         Assess a late penalty fee to the student;

·         Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;

·         Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

·         Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;

·         Provide written request to be certified;

·         Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies. 


#trackbackRdf ($trackbackUtils.getContentIdentifier($page) $page.title $trackbackUtils.getPingUrl($page))
  • No labels