Academic Policies

Transfer Credits

Traditional MPA, MIA, and MSEd-HEA students may transfer up to twelve (12) credits of graduate coursework from other institutions to Baruch College with a grade of "B" or higher and only if these courses were not also used for complete another graduate degree. CAPS courses may not be transferred as core courses. For each course requested to be transferred, a syllabus, the official course description, and official transcript of the grade received must be emailed as PDF file attachments to After review by the college administration, students will be notified by email about their transfer credit status.

Academic Probation

Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. When the cumulative GPA falls below the requirement, students are placed on academic probation by the Registrar. Students will then have 12 credits to bring their cumulative GPA back to a 3.0, while maintaining a minimum B grade in each class. If a student's GPA remains below the required 3.0 after the 12 probationary credits are completed, the student will be permanently dismissed from their program of study. Students on probation or students with low GPAs should not enroll in winter intersession courses in January.

Pass/No Credit

The Pass/No Credit (P/NC) grade is used for K-12 education leadership courses in cooperation with the New York City Department of Education and New Leaders, Inc.

MPA, MIA, and MSEd-HEA students may use the P/NC option once for one elective course. It cannot be used for core courses. The Registrar must receive P/NC application by the deadline specified in the Academic Calendar. Once processed, a request cannot be withdrawn nor can a student decide during a course to change from a P/NC to a conventional grade. The course instructor is not informed that a student is completing the class under the P/NC option.

The grade of P or NC is not computed in the student's GPA. For example, if a student receives a C or an A, a P grade will be reflected on the transcript and the student will receive credit for the course. The C or A will not be calculated in the student's GPA. Similarly, if a student receives an F for the course, the NC grade will be reflected on the transcript and the F will not count in the GPA. Furthermore, if a student receives a NC, he/ she may either retake the same course or another in its place, but this time a conventional grade will be assigned.

F Replacement Policy

The grade of F is computed in the GPA. A failed course must be repeated if it is a required course in the student’s program. Students who repeat a failed course and earn a grade of B- or better may petition to drop the grade of F from the computation of the grade point average; the grade of F will remainon the transcript. Only one F grade may be dropped from the calculation of the grade point average. Petitions may be submitted to the registrar.

Academic Appeals

Graduate students can file an academic appeal for a number of reasons including: retroactive course withdrawal, reinstatement, and extension of time to complete a degree. Appeals are heard by the Committee on Academic Standing, which is comprised of four faculty members elected by the entire MSPIA faculty and two student representatives as well as staff members. Students do not appear before the CAS.

An Academic Appeals Form must be submitted along with a written statement and any supporting documentation (e.g. doctor's notes, hospital records, email correspondence, The appeal form and all supporting documentation in PDF format must be submitted to with the subject line: ACADEMIC APPEAL.

The committee considers appeals twice per semester and once during the summer. The appeal submission deadlines for Spring 2018 are: Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 and Tuesday, April 24th, 2018. Any submissions received after this date will not be considered until the following summer 2018 term.