Page tree

Matriculation And Class Status

Students officially matriculated in Baruch’s graduate programs are allowed to register for courses. Once admitted to a graduate program (this includes the period between acceptance by and registration at Baruch), students cannot take undergraduate courses in order to waive 9000-level preliminary requirements. Concurrent acceptance to and enrollment in a second undergraduate degree program and a graduate-level program are not permitted. Withdrawal from one program is a condition for admission to or continued registration in another program.

Academic Advisement


The Office of Graduate Programs provides administrative and curricular services to students enrolled in programs in the Zicklin School of Business. 


Advisement for students in the Arts Administration,  Financial Engineering, Corporate Communication, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and Mental Health Counseling graduate programs is provided by members of the faculty. Appointments can be made through the Office of Graduate Studies at 646-312-4490.


The Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions provides administrative and curricular services to graduate students enrolled in programs in the School of Public Affairs. Students entering programs in the School of Public Affairs will receive an evaluation of preliminary course requirements to aid in their first registration at Baruch. During the first semester of attendance, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor from the office to prepare a program for the remaining course of study. The program is a plan of study devised by the student in consultation with the advisor regarding the courses to be completed for the degree. For information regarding student services, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions, School of Public Affairs, at 646-660-6750.


Measles, Mumps, Rubella Immunization

ID Cards

Program Load

A program of four 9000-level courses (12 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load. A program load of three 9000-level courses (9 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for the following Weissman School of Arts and Sciences programs: MA in Arts Administration; MA in Corporate Communication; MS in Financial Engineering; and MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. A program load of nine (9) credits is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for Zicklin School of Business MBA and MS students. However, this option is not available to students in the following Zicklin cohort programs: Full-time MBA, Executive MBA, MBA in Healthcare Administration, and Executive MS programs. Six credits is the maximum full-time load each summer session. Registration for credits in excess of these limits will not be permitted without advance approval by the school dean. Generally, 6 to 8 credits is the recommended course load for students working 35 hours or more per week.

Students are expected to enroll in courses that are required to complete their degree. Enrollment in courses outside the required program is subject to availability of space.

Program Changes


Students who have chosen a major field or a degree objective and wish to change it at a later date may do so, subject to the approval of the appropriate graduate office. Students on F-1 and J-1 visas must also see the International Student Service Center for appropriate approvals to remain in status.

Students who change their degree objective or major field will be subject to the admission requirements of the new curriculum pertaining to the new major field, including core and preliminary requirements. Courses successfully completed under the student’s original program may be transferred to the new program only if they are applicable. Academic deficiencies are carried over from one program to another (e.g., a student on probation under the original program remains on probation under the new program).

If a student’s new major carries a different degree objective, the student must file an application for a change in degree objective in the appropriate graduate office and, if necessary, take the appropriate admission test. Once accepted for the new degree, the student should make an appointment with an advisor in the appropriate graduate office and request a new program.


A required (approved) program may not be changed without written permission from the appropriate graduate office and school dean.

To change required (approved) courses, students complete an Application for Program Revision Form and file it with their graduate office. A copy of the revised program will be sent to the student after it has been approved.

Program changes should be made prior to registering for courses.

Qualifying Examinations/Waivers

Students who feel that they have sufficient background in any of the preliminary requirements but have not had the courses waived may apply to take a written qualifying examination. The application may be obtained at the appropriate graduate studies office. Students pay the listed fee, return the completed form to the appropriate graduate office, and contact the department for the time and place of the examination.

A grade of C- or better is required to waive 8000-level preliminary requirement courses. A grade of B- or better is required to waive 9000-level preliminary requirement courses.

A qualifying examination may not be repeated. Students are not eligible to take a qualifying examination in a graduate course they have taken at Baruch and failed.

Transfer of Credit for Graduate Work and Permit Status

Students may request to transfer up to 12 credits of course work. Of these credits, MBA students may not transfer more than one course (3–4 credits) toward their major, with the exception of MBA in accountancy students, who may transfer up to 14 credits, with no more than two courses (6–8 credits) applied toward the major. MS students may not transfer more than two courses (no more than 8 credits) (Is this policy specific to Zicklin programs?  - if so, this should be clear) toward their degree requirements. MPA students may not transfer courses toward their core requirements. Courses must have been completed within five years of a student’s enrollment at Baruch College. All students should consult their appropriate graduate office for advisement.

  •  In general, only graduate-level courses completed in institutions accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business will be considered for transfer credit toward the MBA and MS degrees in the Zicklin School of Business. Entering MBA students who have attended institutions not so accredited prior to their Baruch admission can apply for transfer credit for graduatelevel work equivalent to core courses, provided courses were taken in a domestic, regionally accredited master’s program in business and were approved by the appropriate academic department. Transfer credit for core courses completed outside the United States must also be approved by the appropriate academic department. 
  • Only graduate-level courses completed in NASPAAaccredited institutions will be considered for transfer credit toward an MPA degree. 
  • A grade of B or better is required in courses for which transfer credit is sought. (However, grades earned at other institutions are not included in computing the scholastic average at Baruch College.) 
  • Graduate courses completed as part of one graduate degree may not be used for credit toward another graduate degree. 
  • In general, course credit is transferable only if a course is equivalent to one given at Baruch College.
  • Once a student is admitted to Baruch College, permission to take a course at another institution must be obtained prior to registration at that institution. Students should allow sufficient time to have their request reviewed. 
  • Baruch College students who wish to take courses at other units of The City University of New York (“On Permit”) must apply to the Registrar’s Office and the Baruch school dean for permission. Transfer credit will not be granted without the explicit permission of the school dean.
  • In general, students in the Zicklin School of Business may not receive transfer credit for graduate courses completed in other CUNY units. 
  • Students matriculated at Baruch College are not permitted to take courses at other institutions if the courses are being offered at Baruch in the same semester. 
  • Permission to take courses at other institutions does not extend the period within which requirements for a degree must be met. 
  • Only students in good academic standing (3.0 GPA and no unresolved INC grades) will be allowed to take courses at other institutions. 
  • Applications for transfer of credit can be obtained at the appropriate graduate offices. The application must be approved by a graduate advisor and the school dean.

Leave of Absence

When a student intends to interrupt studies at Baruch College and not do work at any other institution, he or she is on a leave of absence. During the period in which the leave of absence is in effect, the student may take no course work, may receive no credits for any course work, and may not graduate. However, work toward the completion of an incomplete grade (INC) may be done during a leave of absence.

Re-Entry to The College

Students who interrupt their graduate studies for one or more semesters must file for re-entry using the following form: Re-entry form  prior to the term in which they plan to return. The six-year time period for completion of the requirements for the master’s degree will be extended no more than two semesters for such nonattendance.

If the original six-year period and two additional semesters have expired, the student must apply to the appropriate graduate committee on academic standing for a time extension. In some instances, an extension of time may require a review of the student’s original program for currency of subject matter. Additional courses may be required to complete the degree.

Resignation or Withdrawal

Students who enroll for courses and find it impossible to continue with one or more of the courses must withdraw using CUNYfirst self-service. Failure to properly withdraw from a course will result in an F grade.

Students who drop all courses during the refund period must file a re-entry application. if this occurs during the student’s first semester, the student will need to file a new application with the appropriate office of graduate admissions.  International students need to obtain approval from the International Student Service Center prior to dropping any course.

Extension of Time Limit For Degree

Currently enrolled students who find that they will not be able to complete the degree requirements within the specified time limit (six years) and who wish an extension must apply for an extension of the time limit with the appropriate graduate office; the reason for the extension and the length of time required must be indicated in the request. The request must be approved by the appropriate graduate committee on academic standing

Graduation Requirements


A graduate student must file a graduation application for the degree in the semester in which all the requirements for the degree will be completed. This application can be filed at the Registrar’s Office or using the application within CUNYfirst (see Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes for due dates). While applications submitted after the deadline for a semester will be processed, the names of degree candidates who submit late applications in the spring semester will not appear in the Commencement Program. A student cannot be recommended for the degree at the close of the semester without having submitted an application.

A master’s degree shall normally require a minimum of one academic year of full-time graduate-level study, or its equivalent in part-time study, with an accumulation of not less than 30 semester hours.

An application for a degree will not be carried forward from one semester to the next. A new application card must be filed for the term in which the degree is actually awarded.


Students must maintain matriculated status during the semester in which they obtain their degree if they are not registered for courses.

They must contact the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to take their degree. After a review of the student’s record the student will be charged the maintenance of matriculation fee and a re-entry application fee

Second-Degree Application

Students who wish to take additional courses after meeting their original degree requirements must file a new application for admission to graduate school. Students who have completed an MBA degree and who wish to take additional courses should consider one of the MS programs, an MPA, or the Post-Master’s Certificate Program. Students applying for a second degree must meet current admission requirements.

Grading System*

Baruch uses a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) calculation to determine a student’s academic standing. All grades for 9000- level courses are used in calculating the GPA.

Grades for graduate courses are indicated as follows:

GradeQuality Value Per Credit
A4.0 grade points
A-3.7 grade points
B+3.3 grade points
B3.0 grade points
B-2.7 grade points
C+2.3 grade points

2.0 grade points

C-1.7 grade points
F0.0 grade points

The grade of F is computed in the GPA. A failed course must be repeated if it is a required course in the student’s program. Students who repeat a failed course and earn a grade of B- or better may petition to drop the grade of F from the computation of the grade point average; the grade of F will remain on the transcript. Only one F grade may be dropped from the calculation of the grade point average. Petitions may be submitted to the registrar.

*Grades of D and D+ are not assigned to graduate courses.

WWithdrew without penalty. Student must apply for this grade at the Registrar’s Office within a specified period (see Baruch College Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes).
WAAdministrative withdrawal (no academic penalty). Given to new students who fail to comply with New York Public Health Law 2165 within the announced grace period.
WNNever attended.
AUDNo credit.
INCStudent must be doing passing work to obtain instructor’s permission for this grade. The grade must be resolved by the end of the final examination period of the subsequent semester, or it becomes a grade of FIN, the equivalent of F.
NCNo credit. Used for courses taken under the pass/ no credit option. Also used to indicate the student received a course grade below C-. The course must be repeated in order to receive credit. Not included in the GPA.
PPassing. Valid grade for courses taken under the pass/no credit option. Grades of P are not calculated in the GPA, but credits earned are counted toward the degree.
PENGrade pending (used when a grade is under review for possible infraction of academic integrity standards).

Once filed, a grade can be changed only on the recommendation of the instructor. Such recommendation must have the approval of the department chairperson and the appropriate school dean. Once a grade has been submitted, students may not do extra work to improve that grade.


Students may elect to take one course for degree credit to be graded on a pass/no credit basis. The pass/no credit option cannot be used for courses in the student’s major or specialization.

  • To exercise the P/NC option, the student must register for the course in the usual manner and apply at the Registrar’s Office no later than the third week of the semester (see Baruch College Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes). 
  • The grade of P or NC is not computed in the grade point average.
  • If a grade of NC is received in a core or required course, the student must repeat the course. The course may be repeated only once and for a P/NC grade only. 
  • If a grade of NC is received in an elective course, the student may either repeat the course or select another course; in both cases, a conventional grade will be assigned. 
  • The P/NC option is applied by the Registrar’s Office; the instructor is not informed of the student’s decision. 
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the School of Public Affairs: MPA students may use the P/NC option for one elective course only. The option does not apply to the Capstone Seminar Course (PAF 9190). MSEd in educational leadership, MSEd in higher education administration, and SBL students are allowed to use the P/NC option for any one course in their degree program. 
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences: MS in industrial and organizational psychology students may use the P/NC option for any course in addition to thesis courses. Thesis courses are graded only on a P/NC basis. MA students may elect to use the P/NC option for electives or required courses within the degree program.
  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Zicklin School of Business: MBA students are not permitted to use the P/NC option for core or major courses, but they may use the option for one elective course outside the major. Students who use the P/NC option and then change their major or pursue a second major cannot apply a course previously graded P/NC toward their new major or petition to withdraw the option. Students cannot apply a P/NC-graded course in accountancy or taxation toward CPA requirements. MS students may not use the P/NC option.


The following illustration shows how a student who has attempted 27 credits should compute his/her grade point average on a 4.0 basis.

Grade Value Indexible CreditsGrade Points

*Includes unresolved INC grades

Divide the total grade points by the total indexible credits to obtain the grade point average: 85.8/27 = 3.17 on 27 indexible credits.


A registered student in good academic standing may attend classes as an auditor.

The student must request this status from the registrar when registering for the course. The student will receive the grade AUD: no credit is granted, the course cannot be repeated for credit at a later date, nor can it be converted to a letter grade at a later date. Full tuition is applicable. Instructors are advised that auditors are not required to complete any of the assignments in their courses. 

Students may apply to audit a course during Late Registration only. This ensures that students who need the course for their degree programs are given priority.


Students must be doing passing work to obtain an instructor’s permission to receive a grade of incomplete (INC).

A grade of incomplete (INC) received in the fall semester must be resolved by the end of the following spring semester. A grade of INC received in the spring semester or summer term must be resolved by the end of the following fall semester.

Students who receive these grades may not register for or attend (“sit in”) any classes of the course in the following semester.

To resolve incomplete (INC) grades issued for missing course work, the student should meet with the instructor and arrange to complete the requirements for a letter grade before the expiration of the following semester.

Make-up exams will be given during the midterm and final exam periods. Refer to the Academic Calendar in the Schedule of Classes for application deadlines.

An unresolved INC grade will be converted to FIN and calculated as an F in the computation of the cumulative GPA after the grace period.


Cross-listed courses cannot be taken for credit more than once without prior approval. The existence of a cross-listed course is indicated by a parenthetical course number that follows the departmental course number and precedes the course title.

Scholarship Requirements

A student who is accepted for graduate work at Baruch College is required to maintain an average of B (3.0 GPA) in all graduate courses taken.

While every effort is made to keep the students informed of their academic standing, it is the students’ responsibility to adhere to these regulations.

Students who have completed the credits required for the degree with an average below 3.0 must have written permission from their dean to take any additional course work. Additional course work beyond 6 credits will not be permitted.

Grades in preliminary courses that have been waived may never be used to improve the GPA.

Grades received in required 8000-level courses are not included in the grade point average. These courses may not be used as elective credits. All 9000-level courses taken outside of the official program will be calculated into the GPA, although credits may not be counted toward fulfilling degree requirements. Grades in courses that duplicate prior course work will not be counted in the GPA.


Students are considered to be on academic probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated below:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
6 and above3.0

Students on probation will be debarred (dismissed) if, after attempting a maximum of 12 additional credits, their cumulative grade point average remains below the required 3.0. In addition, a grade point average greater than or equal to 3.0 per semester must be maintained during the 12 credits of probation. Students on academic probation whose grade point average falls below 3.0 will be debarred whether or not 12 credits have been completed. INC grades are not permitted.

Students in Full-Time MBA, Executive MBA, MPA, and MS programs are expected to adhere to the general policies governing academic probation, with the following exceptions.


Students are considered to be on probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
9 (one trimester) and above3.0

Students will be debarred (dismissed) if, after a maximum of two trimesters (18 credits) on probation, their academic performance remains below the acceptable level.


Students are considered to be on probation if their grade point average falls below the acceptable level indicated:

Credits EarnedMinimum GPA
9 and above3.0

Students will be debarred (dismissed) if, after a maximum of 12 credits on probation, their academic performance remains below the acceptable level.

Graduate Committees on Academic Standing

#trackbackRdf ($trackbackUtils.getContentIdentifier($page) $page.title $trackbackUtils.getPingUrl($page))
  • No labels