Are you looking for population tables and boundary files for PUMAs, ZCTAs, and census tracts? Use the NYC Geodatabase.
This page contains lists, crosswalks, and maps for relating PUMAs, ZCTAs, and other types of geography in NYC.
- PUMA: Public Use Microdata Area. A US Census statistical area, created by aggregating census tracts. PUMAs are designed to have 100k residents. The City of New York correlates them with Community Districts.
- ZCTA: ZIP Code Tabulation Area. A US Census statistical area designed to approximate areal USPS ZIP Codes. They are aggregations of census blocks where a majority of addresses have the same ZIP Code.
- ZIP Code: Zone Improvement Plan. These are postal codes created by the US Postal Service. Codes are assigned to street segments, large institutions, and clusters of PO boxes.
- Census tract: A US census statistical area designed to have an ideal size of 4,000 residents, with a range of 1200 to 8000 residents.
- NTA: Neighborhood Tabulation Area. Statistical areas created by the New York City Department of City Planning for representing US census data for neighborhood-like areas. They are aggregations of census tracts.
|Jan 2010||NYC PUMAs and Neighborhoods||A list of all 2010 PUMAs in the city: PUMA numbers, official names (based on community districts) and unofficial sub-borough names|
|Dec 2013||Maps of NYC 2010 PUMAs||PDF file with 2010 PUMA maps for each borough, with names and community district numbers|
|May 2014||NYC 2010 PUMA to ZCTA Crosswalk||An Excel spreadsheet that apportions ZCTAs to PUMAs|
|May 2014||Documentation for PUMA to ZCTA Crosswalk||README file with description and methodology for creating the crosswalk|
|May 2014||Map of NYC 2010 PUMAs to ZCTAs||PDF file of a map depicting correlation (or lack thereof) between ZCTAs and PUMAs|
|Mar 2017||Map of NYC ZIP Codes||PDF file of a map depicting residential USPS ZIP Codes|
|July 2017||NYC ZIP Code to ZCTA Crosswalk||An Excel file that correlates ZIP Codes to 2010 ZCTAs, so that non-residential ZIPs are assigned to ZCTAs|
|NYC neighborhoods and ZIP Codes||A New York State Dept of Health webpage that correlates neighborhood names with ZIP Codes|
|NYC City Planning Geographies||A City website with maps and crosswalks that illustrate the relationships between PUMAs, Community Districts, Neighborhood Tabulation Areas, and census tracts|