Lists, crosswalks, and maps for relating PUMAs, ZCTAs, and other types of geography in NYC.
- PUMA: Public Use Microdata Area. A US Census statistical area, created by aggregating census tracts. PUMAs are designed to have 100k residents. The City of New York correlates them with Community Districts.
- ZCTA: ZIP Code Tabulation Area. A US Census statistical area designed to approximate areal USPS ZIP Codes. They are aggregations of census blocks where a majority of addresses have the same ZIP Code.
- ZIP Code: Zone Improvement Plan. These are postal codes created by the US Postal Service. Codes are assigned to street segments, large institutions, and clusters of PO boxes.
- Census tract: A US census statistical area designed to have an ideal size of 4,000 residents, with a range of 1200 to 8000 residents.
- NTA: Neighborhood Tabulation Area. Statistical areas created by the New York City Department of City Planning for representing US census data for neighborhood-like areas. They are aggregations of census tracts.
|Jan 2010||NYC PUMAs and Neighborhoods||A list of all 2010 PUMAs in the city: PUMA numbers, official names (based on community districts) and unofficial sub-borough names|
|Dec 2013||Maps of NYC 2010 PUMAs||PDF file with 2010 PUMA maps for each borough, with names and community district numbers|
|May 2014||NYC 2010 PUMA to ZCTA Crosswalk||An Excel spreadsheet that apportions ZCTAs to PUMAs|
|May 2014||Documentation for PUMA to ZCTA Crosswalk||README file with description and methodology for creating the crosswalk|
|May 2014||Map of NYC 2010 PUMAs to ZCTAs||PDF file of a map depicting correlation (or lack thereof) between ZCTAs and PUMAs|
|Mar 2017||Map of NYC ZIP Codes||PDF file of a map depicting residential USPS ZIP Codes|
|Sept 2013||NYC ZIP Code to ZCTA Crosswalk||An Excel file that correlates ZIP Codes to 2010 ZCTAs, so that non-residential ZIPs are assigned to ZCTAs|
|Nov 2016||NYC ZIP Code to ZCTA Discrepancies||These notes contain suggested or possible corrections to the crosswalk file|
|NYC neighborhoods and ZIP Codes||A New York State Dept of Health webpage that correlates neighborhood names with ZIP Codes|
|NYC City Planning Geographies||A City website with maps and crosswalks that illustrate the relationships between PUMAs, Community Districts, Neighborhood Tabulation Areas, and census tracts|