TRANSFER SEMINAR ASSISTANT FELLOWS
Transfer seminar will serve as a vital gateway to a transfer student’s academic and social transition to Baruch and will be specifically tailored to address the integral needs of this unique population. It will serve to engage transfer students, incorporate public policy issues into the College culture, and demonstrate the power of civic collaboration in overcoming challenging issues. The Transfer Seminar curriculum will be guided by a series of nonpartisan research guides produced by Public Agenda. Topics will include: addressing transfer shock, understanding the job market, practicing ethically sound behavior, developing a sense of integrity, exploring immigration, discovering tools for academic success, and grasping future directions.
Transfer Seminar Assistant Fellows can be instrumental in the successful transition of a transfer student’s life at Baruch. The course will be administered over 10 sessions lasting 75 minutes each. These sessions will be facilitated by one Fellow and one Assistant Fellow.
Assistant Fellows are selected based on the following criteria:
- Strong communication skills
- Promising leadership abilities
- Excellent administrative & organizational skills
- A positive attitude and willingness to be challenged
- Possessing good academic and disciplinary standing with the College
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student, and have completed at least two semesters of coursework at Baruch.
- Have transferred to Baruch (highly recommended but not required)
- Exposing transfer students to the diverse Baruch environment
- Serving as a mentor for the TRA cohort, specifically, and all transfer students
- Engaging in meaningful discourse and navigating through complex issues
- Assisting Transfer Seminar Fellow with in-class activities
- Meeting with the Transfer Seminar Fellow every week to review class content for the following week’s session
- Maintaining records of student attendance and assignments
- Participating in training
- Attending bi-weekly supervision meetings
- Frequently checking and promptly responding to e-mails sent by the Transfer Seminar staff
- Possessing a positive and encouraging attitude towards students, and fellow both within and outside the classroom
- Representing the Transfer Seminar program with integrity
- Maintaining good academic standing with the College (2.8 GPA)
Please note the following mandatory dates:
- Meet & Greet:
- Thursday, December 5, 2013 (Time and Location TBD)
- Transfer Seminar Training:
- Tuesday, January 21, 2014 (Time and Location TBD)
- Wednesday, January 22 (9am to 5pm, Location TBD) OR
- Thursday, January 23 (9am to 5pm, Location TBD)
You must be able to attend ALL of the aforementioned training days IN THEIR ENTIRETY. Please make all necessary scheduling arrangements starting now to ensure your full attendance and participation on these days.
*Compensation for the Assistant Fellow position is currently pending budgetary approval.
Apply to be an Transfer Seminar Assistant Fellow