Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
Help Desk Service Alerts
- CUNYfirst Service Alert - CUNYfirst Monthly Maintenance November 23, 2019
The CUNYfirst hosting service provider has scheduled maintenance for the weekend of November 23-24. CUNYfirst* will be unavailable for up to 24** hours as follows:
Unavailable start time: 7:00 PM ET on Saturday, November 23
Unavailable end time: 7:00 PM ET on Sunday, November 24 **
* Only CUNYfirst is unavailable during this maintenance. Other applications, such as Blackboard, remain available through the CUNY Login page.
** Monthly maintenance usually finishes early.
Outlook Web Access - November 8th, 2019
CUNY/CIS is investigating reports of intermittent access issues regarding Outlook Web Access (OWA) (https://owa16.cuny.edu/owa.
CIS is working on resolving these issues.
Email change effective 11/7/19: New alert banner for emails from sources external to CUNY
Starting from Thursday, November 7th, 2019, emails received from a non-CUNY source external to the CUNY/CIS-hosted Staff and Faculty email system will include the following banner at the top of the message text:
ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.
CUNY Central Office is including this banner to:
*Make it easier to identify emails originating from addresses external to @cuny.edu and whose source is not a recognized University service provider like Blackboard, CUNYfirst or Dropbox
*Remind users to exercise caution before opening attachments or clicking links in these emails
Although CUNY email security systems are able to identify and block the majority of malicious emails, some do slip through. Like many other higher education institutions and corporations, a reminder message will be inserted into externally received email to increase awareness of potential risks and aid recognition of impersonated messages including those associated with targeted phishing attacks.
Will emails from colleagues or students at CUNY colleges also include the Alert Banner?
Not if the sender’s email address includes cuny.edu in the address.
Will emails sent from my @cuny.edu email address include the alert banner?
The Alert banner is for inbound emails only.
Will emails from a CUNY listserv include the alert banner?
Thank you for your cooperation.
Updated 11/15/2019 8:40AM
News and Updates
- Skip the lines! Web Printing availiable from on- and off-campus
- Office 2016 Upgrades for Faculty and Staff - March 29, 2018
- VPN Software Upgrade - March 8, 2017
- Textbook Reporting System
- Campus WiFi Coverage Areas
- Blackboard Support
- CUNY Policy on Acceptable Use of Computer Resources
- Faculty/Staff Password requirements - myPassword
- Protect Your Computer! Download a FREE Copy of McAfee VirusScan
- Policy on P2P File Sharing (e.g., BitTorrent & LimeWire)
- Guest Access to Baruch College Network
- Policy on Installation of Wireless Access Points
- Using Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites
- Security Awareness Program