Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
Help Desk Service Alerts
- All services are operational
Update: CUNYfirst performance issues and Blackboard is inaccessible - September 21, 2020
Users are also reporting intermittent CUNYFirst access issues.
Blackboard is currently inaccessible. CUNY/CIS is currently engaged with the vendor and is investigating the issue. An update will be provided when more information becomes available.
Update, 10:05am, 9/16/2020: Starting around 9:30am we had a brief issue that affected login to certain Baruch services such as VPN, HRAssist/PRassist, and other web services. It was resolved as of 10:05am.
All BCTC Labs and the Newman Library are CLOSED until further notice. Helpdesk support is available online via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The BCTC campus computer labs are closed.
Students may access the software on the lab computers remotely at: https://onlinelabs.baruch.cuny.edu
Adobe for students
Students can get their own copy of Creative Cloud with their CUNY login until September 30th. Future access will be announced.
Specific to Adobe:
Campus Helpdesks - Student iPad Training
Starting this week, CUNY students will have an opportunity to attend workshops on iPad functions and capabilities. These workshops were designed in collaboration by Apple and CUNY, and are open to both students who have a CUNY-provided iPad device, as well as any others who wish to attend. You are welcome to register and attend any of these workshops if you would like to learn more about iPad capabilities and prepare for iPad-related questions that may arise during the semester.
You can register here - http://s.apple.com/dE9W3J8E5K
Included here is the iPad starter guide provided to CUNY students by Apple.Reminder: ConnectCUNY Webex license expired August 31, 2020
The short-term ConnectCUNY Webex license providing Webex online meeting and Webex Teams capabilities to all CUNY students, faculty and staff expires today, August 31, 2020.
This message provides:
- A reminder to save files and update scheduled ConnectCUNY Webex meetings
- Information about Zoom availability as a ConnectCUNY Webex replacement
Reminder to Save Files and Update Scheduled ConnectCUNY Webex Meetings
Please alert your ConnectCUNY Webex users that once the license expires, they will not be able to conduct ConnectCUNY Webex calls or retrieve recorded meetings, Webex Teams files and Webex Teams conversations.
- Users should save any ConnectCUNY Webex and Webex Teams information to their computer or cloud storage if they will require access to it after the ConnectCUNY Webex license expires.
- Users hosting a one-time or recurring ConnectCUNY Webex meeting scheduled after August 31 must change the online meeting to another audio or video conferencing solution.
Microsoft Office 365 Teams is available to faculty and staff if telephone access is not required, and Zoom is available on most campuses. Blackboard Collaborate is also available to faculty for distance learning and can include telephone access. Users may also have college-specific audio and video conferencing available to them.
- Participants in a one-time or recurring ConnectCUNY Webex meeting scheduled after August 31 may need to follow up with the meeting host to confirm the meeting and the alternative audio or video conferencing solution.
- CUNY support for ConnectCUNY Webex ends today, August 31, 2020
Zoom as a Replacement for ConnectCUNY Webex
CIS continues to work with the colleges to enable Zoom as an additional collaborative tool to support students, faculty and staff.
CUNY Libraries are going live with Alma on Monday August 3, 2020
On Monday, August 3, 2020, at 8:00 AM, the CUNY Libraries are going live with Alma. (Aleph is and continues to be in READ-ONLY mode.) Please begin to use Alma for your daily operations. To find the link for your library’s instance of Alma, see http://ols.cuny.edu/alma/
At the same time, CUNY CIS will be performing DNS maintenance to point our discovery system, OneSearch, to the upgraded version of Primo. You may experience some downtime.
Blackboard: Best practices to avoid meeting intruders in Blackboard Collaborate
Campuses are reporting instances in which strangers have accessed Blackboard Collaborate sessions and caused disturbances. These uninvited guests have not hacked into Blackboard--they have simply taken advantage of Blackboard Collaborate settings similar to “Zoom Bombing” as reported in the news. Intruders had simply received the guest link and telephone number and joined the Blackboard Collaborate session anonymously.
Instructors can avoid intruders in Blackboard Collaborate by:
- Creating a separate Collaborate session for each online meeting
- Disabling guest access and require students to join Collaborate sessions through Blackboard so participants can be identified
- Disabling private chat and muting microphones so that students will have to use the raise hand feature to be unmuted by you
- Helpful instructions for these Blackboard Collaborate settings can be found in the following links (also available from the CUNY Blackboard Collaborate page):
- Manage Attendees (Blackboard page describing how to mute attendees, manage attendees and remove attendees)
- Session Best Practices (Blackboard page that includes guidance on participant permissions, guest links, and tips on conducting successful online meetings)
CUNYfirst: New Student Document Upload feature available April 10, 2020.
Starting April 10th, students will be able to securely upload documents that are required by their colleges in the areas of Financial Aid, Health Services, and Registrar/student records. This new upload feature in CUNYfirst enables students to deliver supporting documents that were previously required to be submitted in person. Upon submission, document files are stored in a FileNet Student Documents Repository and viewable by designated administrators in the relevant college and Central Office departments.
Students can access the new “Document Upload” link in CUNYfirst by selecting Campus Solutions > Self Service > Document Upload. They then select the desired document classification (Financial Aid, Health Services or Registrar) type of document to be uploaded. File formats include the following, subject to a 20 megabyte size restriction each: PDFs, Microsoft Office files, and photos of documents (JPEG).
Detailed student instructions are available in Student Document Upload on the CUNYfirst Student Training page as well as from an announcement on the CUNYfirst portal page.
Students having an issue with a document upload should contact their campus help desk for assistance.Do NOT "Shut Down" when using Remote Desktop
If you are a faculty or staff member getting to your office computer via Remote Desktop Conenction and the VPN, please do NOT end your session by going to "Shut Down" on the menu. This will power off your PC and make it unavailable. Use the "Disconnect" option or hit the "X" in the "Remote Desktop Connection" window or drop-down title bar if full-screen, to leave your computer on and the session running. If you do accidentally shut down email the Helpdesk for assistance, in most cases we can restart the computer remotely.
Information for Administrative users
We have compiled a list of information about administrative resources during the current campus situation.
Zoom videoconferncing licenses
Baruch has licensed Zoom for campus use during the current situation. Users can log in to https://baruch.zoom.us/ with their Baruch username and password to access it.
CUNY Information on Teaching and Working Remotely
CUNY has posted a page on resources available from
CUNY for faculty and staff who need to work remotely. This page is at https://www.cuny.edu/coronavirus/faq-for-faculty-and-staff/
CUNY Net Price Calculator became available on Monday, March 30th, 2020
On March 30, 2020 the Net Price Calculator became available with a new URL, npc.cuny.edu.
The old one at https://portal0.uapc.cuny.edu/uapc/public/fin_aid/financial_aid_estimator/FinAidEstimator.jsp will be turned off on April 1, 2020 at 7 AM. Please update any links you may have to the new site before then.
Updated 9/21/2020 4:20pm
News and Updates
- CUNY Policy on Acceptable Use of Computer Resources
- Faculty/Staff Password requirements - myPassword
- Protect Your Computer! Download a FREE Copy of McAfee VirusScan
- Policy on P2P File Sharing (e.g., BitTorrent & LimeWire)
- Guest Access to Baruch College Network
- Policy on Installation of Wireless Access Points
- Using Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites
- Security Awareness Program