Newman at a Glance
The Library and Technology building that houses the William and Anita Newman Library was originally constructed in 1894 for the Metropolitan Street Railway Company of New York, then taken over by the Lexington Company, and served as a power station for the City's cable car system.
- American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Excellence in Design;
- Award of Excellence for Library Architecture, presented jointly by the American Library Association and the American Institute of Architects;
- Library Buildings Award, presented by the Library Administration and Management Section of the American Library Association;
- Certificate of Merit from the Municipal Art Society of New York;
- Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award, presented by the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
The Library is a part of the 330,000 square foot Library and Technology Center, which also houses a 400 seat student computing lab, Subotnick Financial Services Center, conference center, and several administrative offices of the College.
In 2003 the Library received the prestigious Excellence in Academic Libraries award from the Association of College and Research Libraries, American Library Association.The award recognizes "academic librarians and staff who work together as a team to develop academic libraries that are outstanding in furthering the educational missions of their institutions."
On February 3, 2007 the Library welcomed its ten-millionth visitor and continues to log approximately 30,000 users per week.
The Library has an active instruction program that offers:
- a Minor in Information Studies;
- credit courses open to all undergraduate students;
- course-related instruction sessions;
- workshops in the Subotnick Financial Services Center;
- personal research consultations
- award winning online tutorials
The Library is a member of:
- The City University of New York Library System
- New York Metropolitan Library Council
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- Center for Research Libraries
Summary Data on the Newman Library
|Group Study Rooms||29|
|Open Hours per Week||119|
|Number of Volumes||568,676|
|Number of eBooks||163,680|
|Units of Microform||2,066,697|
|Current Serial Titles||89,951|
|Virtual Reference Transactions||3,136|
|Interlibrary Loans (Loaned/Borrowed)||2,499 / 1,975|
|Number of Staff (FTE)||67|
|Laptops Available for Loan||350|
|Public Computers in Library||98|
|Database Logins (2011)||1,761,836|