Skip to content

International Student Service Center


How much time do I have to complete my degree?
Although your I-94 card is marked "D/S" for the Duration of Status, your SEVIS I-20 is the document, which regulates the length of your degree program. Section 5 of the SEVIS I-20 states the completion date, which is the latest date by which you are expected to finish your degree.

How do I know if I need an extension?
If you anticipate completing your studies any later than the date on your SEVIS I-20, you must apply for an extension of your program.

When can I apply for an extension?
You must file for your extension at least 30 days before your SEVIS I-20 expires. An extension cannot be processed after the SEVIS I-20 expires.

What items do I need to bring to the ISSC?
1. Your SEVIS I-20, I-94, and valid passport
2. Current financial documentation to cover the remaining time needed for study

3. Extension of Program Form completed by the Academic Advisor

What is the ISSC process?
An ISSC advisor will review your case. If you have been in F-1 status and have a legitimate academic need for an extension, you will be issued a new SEVIS I-20 with instructions to sign line 11 upon receipt of the document.

What if I have not been a full-time student, have not made satisfactory progress, or am filing for my extension after my SEVIS I-20 has expired?
An F-1 extension is a benefit for students in status with legitimate academic reasons for the additional time requested. If you have not been a full-time student, not made satisfactory progress, or otherwise violated the F-1 regulations, you will not be eligible for an extension. You will need to meet with an ISSC advisor who will review your situation and advise you of the options you have to re-gain F-1 status or otherwise complete your degree at Baruch College. It is important that you meet with an ISSC advisor as soon as possible. A delay could further complicate your situation.