Forms and Applications

Academic Appeal Forms

Academic Appeal FormsAcademic appeal forms can be downloaded in PDF format or Microsoft Word, or picked up in the Office of the Associate Dean, room 8-265 of the Vertical Campus. Please carefully read the instructions for each type of request.


The Weissman Committee on Academic Standing is based in the Office of the Associate Dean.

These are some of the appeals handled by the committee:

  • Retroactive withdrawal from a class or total resignation (after the semester is over)
  • Permission to drop after the deadline (within the semester)
  • Request for an extension to resolve an INC grade
  • Request for reinstatement if dismissed
  • 3-Time Repeat of a Course
  • Curricular adjustments or waivers of academic rule

All requests should be documented with supporting evidence: medical notes, military papers, etc. The filing of an appeal does not guarantee a favorable decision; the committee weighs all the information presented by the student and arrives at a conclusion based upon the application of College rules and the appropriateness of the request.

The student is informed in writing of the committee’s decision. Students do not appear before the committee.

Application (appeal) to the Weissman Committee on Academic Standing: Download in Word or PDF

Appeals should be sent via email to with ACADEMIC APPEAL in the subject line.


IndependEnt Study Forms

Occasionally, students wish to pursue an area of study not covered in the college’s course offerings. A student who wishes to enroll in an independent study selects a subject in consultation with a full-time faculty advisor, who acts as his or her supervisor. A full description of the project and its specific goals, as well as a preliminary bibliography and an account of the means of evaluation (papers, exams, etc.), should be included in the written prospectus.

Once approved by the faculty advisor and the department chair, the proposal is submitted to the Office of the Associate Dean at for school approval.

This form must be filed in the Office of the Associate Dean no later than the following dates during the semester before the Independent Study will be taken:

Fall – August 15         Winter – December 15            Spring – January 15            


  • Independent studies are NOT offered during summer sessions.
  • Independent studies have the same registration deadline as regular courses.
  • Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and be in good standing, without unresolved INC grades.

Download Independent Study Forms

Once proposals are approved, students are contacted via email with registration instructions.  Please refer to the Academic Calendar for registration deadlines.

Application For Credit Overload

The credit overload option allows students to register for 19 to 21 credits in the spring or fall semester.  In the summer sessions, a maximum of five courses is allowed, with a limit of three courses in one session; in the January intersession, the maximum is three courses. Students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher to be eligible for a credit overload.  Those enrolled in CSTM/FSPM and/or ESL courses, those enrolled in MTH 1023, and those with unresolved INC grades are not eligible. 

Students who are registered for credit overloads may not alter their schedules once the semester or session has begun, and those with approved overloads will have holds placed on their records, preventing any registration changes (add, drop, or swap). Anyone who wishesto rescind an overload request before the semester officially begins, or who wishes to adjust his or her schedule during the late registration period while maintaining the approved overload must contact the Office of the Associate Dean for assistance (VC 8-265;; 646-312-3890).  Requests to go below the approved number of semester credits require an appeal to the Weissman Committee on Academic Standing, which is also based in the Associate Dean’s Office.

Please return the completed credit overload application to the Office of the Associate Dean at

Download Application for Credit Overload

Application to Take a Course Pass/Fail

Only students matriculated in the Weissman School may elect to receive pass/fail grades instead of a letter grade in certain courses. Students may exercise the pass/fail option a maximum of two times during their academic career, and are restricted to one course in any given semester

  • This option may NOT be exercised within the credit area/requirements for a student’s major, minor, or towards the fulfillment of general education requirements (Required Core, Flexible Core, and College Option of the Pathways curriculum, or Tiers I, II, and III of the Common Core curriculum).
  • Students are not allowed to use the Pass/Fail option for: CMP/ENG 2800; CMP/ENG 2850; or 1000-level courses offered by the Department of Natural Sciences.
  • The pass/fail grading option may not be used for the additional BA requirements – the pre-Weissman Core: COM 1010 and foreign language, or for students following the Common Core Curriculum, foreign language, natural science, and cultural studies.

Students wishing to take courses on a pass/fail basis must file their requests with the Office of the Associate Dean (VC 8-265; within the first three weeks of class. Please check the Official Academic Calendar on the Registrar’s Office site for specific dates.

Request for a Pass/Fail Grade


Additional Academic Forms from the Registrar:


Please Note: Incomplete applications will not be processed. You can either send by mail or bring the application to the Office of the Registrar. Please do not FAX Permit, Nondegree, Re-Entry applications.

Office of the Registrar
Library and Information Technology Building
151 East 25th Street, Box H-850
New York, NY 10010

Phone: 646-312-1150
Fax: 646-312 1151

Please see the Registrar's Office directory for unit-specific information.


The City University of New York