For a student to be eligible for the STEP program they must be:
- a student enrolled in grades 7 -12 in the state of New York with good academic standing (minimum grade point average of 80 and 80 or above in both Math & Science courses)
- a New York State resident for a minimum of 12 months before applying to the program
- a member of a historically underrepresented group (as defined by the New York State Education Department) in the scientific, technical, health-related, and licensed professions. This includes African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American Indian, and Alaskan Native or
must be economically disadvantaged as indicated in the table below.
Income Eligibility Criteria 2019 - 2020
* Add $7,696 for each family member in excess of 8
Admission to the STEP Academy is selective and based primarily on a student's academic record. Interested students must submit a completed program application by the stated deadline. Personal essays, report cards or transcripts, teacher evaluations, and income verification documents (for students claiming eligibility on the basis of economic factors) are all important components of the application. Incomplete applications cannot be considered.
Once admitted to the program students are expected to:
- regularly attend and paticipate in all STEP activities and classes
- arrive at STEP sessions on time and ready to participate with applicable assignments/materials
- conduct themselves in a manner conductive to their own learning and to the learning of others
- have transportation to and from all STEP activities