Find a job
Our staff provides information in a personalized way that can assist in making your job search process successful
- Review Starr Search for internship, part-time and full-time opportunities
- Use other job search websites, listservs and forums for additional listings
- Subscribe to newspapers and trade magazines
- Join professional associations and groups in your specific fields
- Network with colleagues and develop a strong base of contacts in your field
- Remain organized in your search. A job search spreadsheet can be utilized for organizing your job search experience
When you are beginning to look for a job, you need to gather information about your target market (a job or industry to target in your job search).
Research - Gathering Information Online
- This is a great time to begin doing some research on the world of work
- You can gather information about the professional world by checking out Glassdoor and Wetfeet
- The National Association of Colleges and Employers offers some of the most accurate compensation data available
If you are looking to explore specific career paths of your field, you should also consider informational interviews.
Research - Gathering Information in Person
- Informational interviews are meetings with individuals who are professionals in the field you are interested in to gain more information about an industry or occupation and to build contacts in your field
- These interviews can give you information about: what a typical day looks like in this profession, what are some of the possible career path, what type of educational or experience background is required, etc
- Learn how to make an Informational Interview Requests and what Informational Interview Questions you might ask on your interview
For seniors, we offer an On-Campus Recruiting program that allows you to apply for positions for which recruiters are specifically coming to seek talent from Baruch College.
OCR for Seniors
In order to participate in the program, you must attend the Mandatory OCR Workshop
Finally, one of the most important things that you can do during your job search process is to make an appointment with a counselor, who can offer one-on-one attention tailored to your individual needs. The staff at the Starr Career Development Center provides information in a personalized way that can assist in making your job search process efficient and most importantly successful.
In addition, check out Starr Search for our workshops and programs on job search topics.