Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
Top Hat - Student Response System
Top Hat is an interactive, cloud-based teaching platform that enables professors to engage students inside and outside the classroom using mobile devices such as cell phones, tablets, or laptops!
With Top Hat, instructors can:
- Turn students’ internet-connected devices into teaching tools—with Top Hat, there’s no need for additional hardware
- Take attendance effortlessly and accurately—our location-based attendance technology means only students who are actually in class get counted
- Engage your class in a more meaningful way—create polls, questions and discussions that encourage participation and conversation, and give you real-time feedback
- Create interactive homework that provides hints and feedback to help students master their course material.
- Track student performance with the Top Hat Gradebook
To use the Top Hat web app, your device should be running an up-to-date version of your chosen browser or operating system. You can run the Top Hat web app on the following platforms:
- Web app (use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer on a mobile device or desktop computer)
- iOS app (download from the Apple Store)
- Android app (download from Google Play)
- Mobile web browser (use Android native browser, Android Firefox, Android Chrome, or iOS native Safari browser on your mobile device)
Professor Registration and Training
To learn the basics of Top Hat, or to brush up on your skills, please register for one of their webinars via the link below:
- Go to the Top Hat Webinar Registration web page
- Select the webinar that best fits your schedule
- Enter your First Name, Last Name, E-Mail address, and click "REGISTER" to sign up!
*Please note, the webinars are for INSTRUCTORS ONLY*
After registering, follow the links below for Top Hat's recommended tutorial series to help you get started with Top Hat:
Instructor Top Hat Checklist
We recommend that approximately two weeks before the start of the semester instructors perform the steps found in the .PDF below:
After reviewing that check list, it is recommended that you share the following document with your students to make sure that as many students are signed up and enrolled in your Top Hat course as possible by the first day of class:
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I go for Tech Support?
Students & Faculty can get support for all Top Hat related issues with Top Hat’s Live Chat, Phone, and E-Mail Support. If you have trouble signing up or with any other part of Top Hat – please contact Top Hat's Support Team directly. You can access Top Hat's support web page at the link below:
Do I need to be connected to WiFi to use Top Hat?
Yes! Top Hat works best when connected to CUNY Baruch's Wireless Network.
What can I do if I’m having trouble connecting to WiFi?
Try these four simple steps to help fix your WiFi issues:
(1) If your device is "Connected / Connecting" to WiFi, but with "No Internet" wait 30 seconds before clicking anything
(2) If this does not work, kindly repeat Step 1 up to 2 more times
(3) Turn OFF wifi, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back ON
(4) Restart your device, and try connecting to WiFi again
If the above steps fail, please go to the BCTC Help Desk on the 6th floor of the Library Building for assistance in connecting to WiFi.
Can I change my phone number in Top Hat?
If you entered the wrong phone number, or have a new phone number and would like to change it, please follow the instructions at the link below:
I see students in my gradebook listed with a name like "temporary_2c7c302c7c30". How can this be corrected?
If you see a student with the name similarly to "temporary_xxxxx", that means the student has not yet registered their phone numbers on Top Hat. Once a student listed as "temporary_xxxxx" registers their phone number on Top Hat, the "temporary_xxxxx" will change to the students First and Last names. Below is a link to more information on this topic directly from the Top Hat Support Team: