The Rhodes Scholarship funds two years of graduate or undergraduate study at Oxford University. 32 scholarships are awarded in the U.S. each year.
Prospective Rhodes Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- energy to use one’s talents to the full, as exemplified by fondness for and success in sports
- literary and scholastic attainments
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings
U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 24 who will hold the Bachelor's degree before embarking on the Scholarship. Citizens of Canada, Australia, South Africa, Germany, India, New Zealand, Commonwealth Carribean, Zimbabwe, Bermuda, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Kenya, Malaysia, Malta, Pakistan, Singapore, Uganda, and Zambia may apply through their own countries.
All educational costs, such as matriculation, tuition, laboratory and certain other fees, are paid on the Scholar’s behalf by the Rhodes Trustees. Each Scholar receives, in addition, a maintenance allowance adequate to meet necessary expenses for term-time and vacations. The Rhodes Trustees cover the necessary costs of travel to and from Oxford.
To apply, you can use the official application form which can be downloaded in PDF format from the website. New forms are posted on this web site every July for the following October deadline.
- Check your own college or university endorsement process for special deadlines; they invariably precede the official deadlines.
- Applications must be accepted no later than October 5.
- Deadline for submissions of institutional endorsement & referee letters is October 13.
- District interviews are November 20 and 21.