Journalism and the Writing Professions
BARUCH College Launches 2ND ANNUAL CITYWIDE HIGH SCHOOL JOURNALISM COMPETITION
Baruch College's Department of Journalism and the Writing Professions, the only undergraduate journalism department within the City University of New York, is pleased to announce the 2011 Newsies! - a citywide competition for New York high school journalism.
The competition is open to all New York City public high schools. Teachers/advisers are responsible for nominating and submitting entries on behalf of their students. Student work will be considered if it meets the guidelines below. Please read carefully.
1) The item was published in a student publication (print or online) between September 2010-September 2011.
2) The work has not won a previous Newsies!
In addition, by submitting work to the competition:
· Your school is agreeing to send representatives to the 2011 High School Journalism Conference on Wed., Oct. 26 at Baruch College.
· Students are giving permission for their work to be published online and/or in print through Baruch College and with Baruch partners in relationship to The Newies!
There is NO age or grade requirement for students. Click here to see last year’s winners.
We will be accepting entries in these categories: School News, Community News, National/World News, Entertainment/Arts, Feature, Opinion/Editorial Writing, Illustration/Comics/Political Cartoon, In-Depth Stories, Features, Sports, Photojournalism, Multimedia Storytelling/Broadcast, Headline Writing, Lede Writing and Best Overall (print/online).
Judging for the competition will be conducted by members of the NYC High School Journalism Collaborative at Baruch College, CUNY's Graduate School of Journalism, the New York City Scholastic Press Association, professors in Baruch College's Department of Journalism and the Writing Professions along with professional journalists and illustrators.
Final entries must be submitted by Sept. 23, 2011. Any entries that are received by June 30, 2011, will receive feedback from a professional journalist or Baruch College Department of Journalism and the Writing Professions or CUNY J-School faculty member. Awards will be announced at the 8th Annual High School Journalism Conference on Oct. 26.
All entries for the competition must be received through the application form link. No hardcopy or emailed applications will be accepted.
Before applying, make sure you:
1) review the application criteria and form.
2) have your entries in a PDF, JPG or TIFF or the weblink to an entry ready to upload. Please submit the PDF or image of the story in the published forms. We will not be accepting Word or text files this year.
The competition is being hosted by the NYC High School Journalism Collaborative at Baruch. We'd like to thank our partners and supporters, including the Harnisch Family Philanthropies.
Founding Chair, Department of Journalism and the Writing Professions at Baruch College
Director, Harnisch Collaborative Projects
Co-Director of the NYC High School Journalism Collaborative at Baruch College
- News and Events
- Journalism and Creative Writing Specialization
- Business Journalism Specialization
- Interdisciplinary Major in Business Writing
- Harman Writer-in-Residence
- Harnisch Journalism Projects
- Prizes and Awards
- Journalism Blogs
- Dollars & Sense
- Web Publishing: Limiting Legal Risk