The Department of Communication Studies
BA in Business Comm/Corporate Comm
BA in Communication Studies
COM 5010: Internship in Business and Public Communication
Undergraduate Internship Coordinator:
Prof. Jana O'Keefe Bazzoni
Guidelines for taking COM 5010:
The internship is one of the required courses* in the BA in Business Communication/Corporate Communication and an elective in the BA in Communication Studies. In the BA in Corporate Communication, to be eligible for the Internship course you must have completed at least two of the required COM courses, one of the electives in the major, and the pre-requisite MGT and MKT courses. In the BA in Communication Studies, the eligibility requirements are to be determined.
*Students who are employed full time and are waived from the course select an additional COM elective from the list of approved Cmajor electives..
- Determine your Communication area of career interest; Create a resume.
- Register with Baruch’s Starr Career Center.
- Verify your eligibility with the Department & request permission to register. For the COM 5010 course.
- Contact potential internship sites—web resources, including Starr.
- Schedule and attend multiple interviews for potential internships: the internship must focus on Communication & relate to the major.
- Request approval for selected internship with the faculty member assigned to the section of the class in which you’re enrolled.
- Register through the department secretary (once approved, see step 6).
Past interns have been placed at:
Vidicom/Apple Vision, Sony BMG Studios, WABC-TV, CBS News, CNN, Fox News, MTV, Comedy Central Cable Television, Nickelodeon, Miramax, Sandbox TV, Bazan Entertainment, Primetime Omnimedia, Dentsu Communications, Blueliner Marketing, Joseph Abboud PR, Italmode PR, Euro RSCG Magnet, PR 21, NY Times Syndication, Diversity Plus Magazine, Simon & Schuster Books, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, City Parks Foundation, Tyler Hall, Sesame Street Workshop, Children's Arts & Sciences Workshop, Accion NY, and Baddish Group, among others.
See full listing of past placements and current offerings at the department's "Corporate Communication" Blackboard site (search Organizations in BB).
See Career Opportunities for information on communication careers, graduate and professional degrees, career development at Baruch, and links to career and internship websites.