Weissman School of Arts and Sciences | Baruch College
The Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Barbara Katz Rothman
Phone: 646 312-4470
Fax: 646 312-4461
Location: VC 4264
Barbara Katz Rothman’s work is both interdisciplinary and international in scope, focusing on issues in Medical Sociology, Bioethics, Gender and the Sociology of Knowledge.
Her professional honors and awards include the Lee Founders Award of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, the Jesse Bernard Award of the American Sociological Association, the mentoring award of Sociologists for Women in Society, the Award for the Promotion of Human Welfare of the Southern Sociological Society.
She has been a participant in the Scholars-in-Residence Program of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, where she conducted research for her book Weaving a Family: Untangling Race and Adoption, a Marie Goepert Mayer Professor at the Universitat Osnabrueck in Germany, a Leverhulme Professorship at the University of Plymouth in the United Kingdom and a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands, and currently continues to serve as a Visiting Professor both at Plymouth University and at the Charite Hospital and Medical School in Berlin.
She received her PhD in Sociology from New York University, but her undergraduate and Master’s degree are from Brooklyn College. Having been a faculty member at Baruch College and the Graduate School since 1979, she considers herself both a true CUNY product and member of the CUNY community.
Selected Publications (Books only):
- Laboring On: Birth in Transition in the United States, With Wendy Simonds and Bari Meltzer Norman. Routledge, 2007, an updated version of In Labor: Women and Power in the Birthplace. W.W. Norton and Company, 1982
- Weaving a Family: Untangling Race and Adoption. Beacon Press, 2005
- The Book of Life: A Personal and Ethical Guide to Race, Normality and the Implications of the Human Genome Project. Beacon Press: 2000 (Originally published as Of Maps and Imaginations. W.W. Norton and Company). Published in Finland, 2002.
- The Encyclopedia of Childbearing: Critical Perspectives. Oryx Press. 1993.
- Centuries of Solace: Expressions of Maternal Grief in Popular Literature. (co-authored with Wendy Simonds). Temple University Press: 1992.
- Recreating Motherhood: Ideology and Technology in a Patriarchal Society. WW. Norton and Company: 1989. Published in Japan, 1994.
- The Tentative Pregnancy. Viking Press: 1986. Published in Germany 1988.