Become a volunteer
Below are the steps to be part of Baruch VITA. Refer to Volunteers ⇒ Registered ⇒ Training from the top navigation bar for exact dates and more details on the process.
Step 1: Application (September to December)
- Fill out the Application Form
- Receive a confirmation email within 10 days
- Memorize your 4-digit Volunteer ID
- Attend "Tax 101" Mini-Training (recommended)
Step 2: Screening (December)
- Purchase the Baruch VITA Textbook in mid-December or print your own copy
- Submit the take-home, online Pre-Test by December 30 (You have 2 attempts)
Reached the passing grade and cut-off? Congratulations! See you in January training. Otherwise, please try again next year.
Step 3: Training (January)
- Attend 2 days of Federal & NY State Tax training over 2 consecutive weekends
- Attend 1 day of International Tax (optional)
- Take the in-class Post-Test
Reached the passing grade? Congratulations! See you on-site during the tax season. Otherwise, please try again next year.
Step 4: Volunteering (February to mid-April)
- Submit preferred volunteer locations & hours
- Prepare at least 45 points worth of tax returns (about 15 returns on average) in at least 3 hours per week (flexible)
Fulfilled all the requirements? Congratulations! You are now an IRS-certified Volunteer.
Step 5: Recognition (May)
- Participate in the annual Recognition Ceremony & Awards Dinner
- Receive IRS certificates, letters validating community service hours, and letters of recommendation
- Take the VITA experience further: apply for one of the many leadership positions!