Testing and Placement
In order to enroll at Baruch College, incoming transfer students must be tested in the following areas:
- Skills Assessment Tests in reading, writing, and mathematics. The results of your scores on the Skills Assessment Tests may affect your admission or require that you take preparatory courses before enrolling at Baruch.
- COMPASS Placement Test. This test is mandatory even if you are exempt or certified in mathematics by CUNY. Click on the COMPASS link to view sample questions and test taking-tips.
The CUNY/ACT Skills Assessment Tests and the COMPASS Mathematics Placement Tests are used to demonstrate your readiness for college-level academic work and to determine your initial course placements in mathematics, writing and reading.
Reading and Writing Requirement
Transfer students who have completed a 3 credit college-level English course with a grade of C or better from an accredited college or university are considered proficient in reading and writing, and exempt from the CUNY Reading and Writing exams. However, ESL students will be asked to take a placement test in reading and writing to assess their English Language Skills.
Transfer students who have not completed a 3 credit college-level English course with a grade of C' or better must satisfy CUNY’s Basic Skills Assessment requirements prior to registration, by taking and passing the CUNY Reading and Writing exams or by meeting one of the criteria listed below:
- Scored at least 480 on the verbal section of the SAT.
- Scored at least 20 on the ACT.
- Scored at least 75 on the New York State English Regents Examination.
Students who have completed a 3 credit college-level math course with a grade of C or better from an accredited college or university are considered proficient in math, and exempt from the CUNY mathematics exam.
Transfer students who have not completed a 3 credit college-level math course with a grade of C' or better must satisfy CUNY’
s Mathematics exam or by meeting one of the criteria listed below:
- Scored at least 510 on the mathematics section of the SAT.
- Scored at least 21 on the ACT.
- Scored at least 75 on the New York State Mathematics A or B or the Math Sequential II or III Regents Examinations.
ENGLISH PLACEMENT - for students transferring from a foreign university.
Transfer students whose last college of attendance was a foreign university must take the CUNY Reading and Writing exams for placement purposes. These exams are required prior to registration.
COMPASS MATH PLACEMENT EXAM
Baruch requires ALL entering students to take the COMPASS Math Placement Exam before being allowed to register. The COMPASS Math Exam score is used to determine the appropriate placement into mathematics or math-related courses. If you receive transfer credit for Pre-calculus or Calculus, your placement will be modified accordingly.
Testing tickets, which include the test date and time, are mailed with the acceptance letter. If you have not received a testing ticket or need to reschedule please contact the Office of Testing and Evaluation at (646) 312-4305 or send an email to
The Office of Testing and Evaluation is located at:
Newman Vertical Campus
55 Lexington Avenue