Disability Services


Resolving Conflict

We are committed to working collaboratively with students and the campus community to provide access to all students registered with Student Disability Services.

Every effort is made to ensure that students with disabilities are provided with appropriate accommodations, which are determined on a case-by-case basis.

In the event that a student is unhappy with Student Disability Services, s/he should:

  • Make an appointment with the Director to discuss the situation
  • If, after that meeting, the issue is still unresolved, the student should then make an appointment with the Associate Dean of Student Affairs
  • If the student and the Dean are unable to come to a resolution, a meeting should be arranged with the Vice President of Student Affairs
  • If the problem still cannot be resolved and the question concerns access and accommodations, then the student should make a formal written request to Baruch’s Office of Diversity, Compliance, and Equity Initiatives 
  • In the event that the problem cannot be resolved after all steps have been taken, a formal complaint can be filed with the Office of Civil Rights
Accommodations Responsibilities
Once you have met with a counselor and have been approved for accommodations, upon request you will be provided with an Accommodation Letter for each class. It is the responsibility of the student to request this letter from the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD).
In order to schedule an exam with accommodations, students must present their professors with accommodation letters. Once a student has been informed about an upcoming exam, it is the responsibility of the student to sign up at least one week in advance. If you are an evening student, please discuss with your professor alternate day and time.
Assistive technology can serve as a reasonable accommodation supported and determined by documentation provided to the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD). Requests will be reviewed on an individual case-by-case basis. It is the responsibility of the student to request an appointment with the assistive technology manager to determine eligibility. Through appointments, students can get assistance and training with the various software and devices suited to their needs.
If you require the use of auxiliary aids and / or assistance of auxiliary aid personnel such as note takers, readers, writers, interpreters, science laboratory assistance, assistant technology, etc., please notify us as soon as possible. All requests for ASL interpreters should be emailed to evelyn.morales@baruch.cuny.edu. It is the responsibility of the student to submit the request at least one week in advance, or as soon as you know the class or event date to allow enough time to make the necessary arrangements. The student is responsible for requesting a lab assistant at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as “any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability.” These service animals assist the person with a disability in the activities of daily living. Students with disabilities who utilize a service animal on campus are strongly encouraged to register with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (OSSD) in Room NVC-2271. The cost of care and responsibility for the well-being of a service animal are the sole responsibility of the owner at all times. There are instances where a service animal may be restricted, such as laboratories that can pose a safety risk, or when an animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
Baruch College does not provide personal care attendants (PCAs) for students. Locating and compensating a PCA is the responsibility of the student, unless the student also receives services from Vocational Rehabilitation, who may choose to cover PCA services. It is the responsibility of the student to discuss their needs with their Vocational Rehabilitation counselor prior to starting the academic semester.