A Focus in the Study of Business
The Summer Entrepreneurship Academy is committed to cultivating and preparing enriching driven and high caliber students who are interested in considering a future designing and building engines of creativity for society and the marketplace. The fundamental objective of the Entrepreneurship Academy is to provide the grounding and exposure to prepare students to begin to think critically about how ideas are ushered to reality.
Goals of the Entrepreneurship Academy
- Understanding and development of the qualifications necessary for success;
- Exploration and investigation of bringing ideas to fruition with business plans and partners; and
- Development of academic and professional skill sets in preparation for business success.
The Academy is open to rising high school juniors and rising high school seniors with a minimum of a B average and strong letters of reference. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of their application essay, their academic record, and a teacher's letter of recommendation. Acceptance to the Academy is made on a rolling basis. Earlier applications compete for all available slots, whereas later applications compete for limited slots.
Essential modules of the Entrepreneurship Academy
- Workshops examining the foundations and components of idea generation.
- Writing Seminars and Workshops.
- Exploration and investigation of successful entrepreneurial case studies.
- Networking events and student social programming.
- Coaching and Guidance on Student Entrepreneurial Concepts.
Components of the Program
- SAT Prep: All of our test preparation courses include skills review, test-taking strategies and tips, practice exercises and simulated tests. Participants will be given a short paper-based assessment to determine individual strengths and weaknesses. Assessment will be based on practice SAT exams. The content of the lessons will include critical reading (reading comprehension, sentence completion and paragraph-length critical reading), math (number and operations, algebra and functions, geometry, statistics, probability and data analysis), and writing (grammar, usage, word choice and essay). Post-Assessment will ask participants to write a short paper-based assessment to assist in measuring the participants' improvement. The instructor will meet with each student personally to discuss the results of the assessment. Instructors have extensive background in teaching, tutoring and coaching junior and senior high school students to want to prepare for the PSAT and SAT standardized tests. These sessions will include time in the computer lab to practice on-line as well as become familiar with the College Board website.
- Student Advisement and College Counseling: Essential to the Entrepreneurship Academy is college and business advisement. This includes: academic advisement, career advice, assistance with researching, identifying and applying to college, understanding undergraduate majors and course selection. Students must develop the navigation skills to identify programs and courses to continue their development.
- Writing Workshop: Fundamental writing and communication skills must be developed and acquired in order to effectively influence the market and constituents. Integral to success in all professional fields resides the ability to write well. Students are provided with writing instruction, enhancing abilities to read critically, create cogent arguments, write persuasively, and cultivate logical thinking skills. Topics will include Writing Persuasively, The Importance of Essay Structure, Writing for Comedy, or Business Writing to further assist students in developing skills essential to academic success.
- Leadership Development: What does it mean to be a leader? How do people develop leadership skills while in high school or in college? Will a book teach me? A mentor? A seminar? Will practice help? How can I get elected to a student government position and is that important? How might that help me? Leadership is much more than robotic movements of authority. It requires values, strong ethics, great communication skills, mastering diplomacy and delegation, and being at the forefront of change or an issue. Leadership is not naturally something people are born with, nor can it be completely learned in a week. The Academy will explore leadership foundations and help students understand skills and ways to help prepare you for the future.
- Networking Events: Networking is a good way for students to continue to develop and continue to refine their interpersonal skills. Through building relationships in their areas of interest, students are able to obtain additional information about the paths to law school, the legal profession and internships.
- Practical Skills Workshops: Students will participate in workshops covering topics such as the preparation of résumés and cover letters, interviewing, and networking. The Academy will also include workshops emphasizing such practical skills as preparing for and taking exams, speaking up in class, taking effective notes, time management and what students should know about making the transition from high school to college.
Entrepreneurship Topics Covered
- Creativity and Innovation- An Introduction of Entrepreneurship: Find out how to make your great idea into reality by meeting the needs in both commercial and social arenas.
- Developing a Business Plan: Learn to state your business passion in practical terms. This course will provide young entrepreneurs with and understanding on risk assessment and how to sustain their business to achieve their goal.
- Business Law- Copyrights, Contracts and Staying Legit: Why do I need to copyright my ideas? What does a legal contract look like? This course examines basic business laws and emphasizes independent critical thinking as legal rules often change.
- Marketing 101- How to Formulate a Marketing Plan: When used properly, the written word can be your least expensive but hardest working employee. Discover how to use this vital asset to your advantage.
- Financial Planning- Making Sense of Your Dollars and Cents (includes visit to trading floor): Every penny counts for a new business. This class explores elementary accounting, fiscal management and teaches students how to make effective financial decisions and how to inspire investors.
- Business Etiquette: Business etiquette goes far beyond not belching in a board room. Learn how to project an image of professionalism while maintaining the ability to relate to your clientele.
- Ideas that Stick- Making the Perfect Pitch: This course focuses on the soft skills of business. Learn how to convey the essence of your product. Discuss the importance of non-verbal communication.
- Customer Relationship Management: Is Your Customer Always Right?: Customers appreciate and respect companies that treat them in the way they wish to be treated as oppose to the way most companies actually treat them. Students will learn the importance of, and how to create a customer-centered business environment.
- Effective Communication- Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say: Communication skills are essential to a successful business. Students will develop skills to improve interpersonal relationships and promote their product in various media forms.
- Entrepreneurial Leadership- Who's Following You?: Introduction to entrepreneurship and the world of starting a business, or a market movement. Students will learn about value-centered entrepreneurship, financial literacy, partnerships and goal setting skills. Will help student understand essential fundamentals on how to achieve goals and reach new heights, by providing education, inspiration and networking opportunities.
- Live The Dream- Create Your Own Business: The lectures in this track are situated to assist students in the program's focus- a business plan competition. Students will apply their learning to a month long project where small groups develop and present their own business proposals to a panel of entrepreneurs and business professors.
*Course topics are subject to change and all topics mentioned may not be offered at every summer program.