Did you know that....
- The Counseling Center has a pre-doctoral
internship program and we have been a member of the Association
of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) since
2001. APPIC a an international committee that organizes an annual
competition for pre-doctoral and post-doctoral candidates who
are seeking to match with an internship site. Our membership
and growing reputation as an excellent training site attracts
candidates from all over the US and Canada every year.
- Approximately 75% of students who use the Counseling Center
are international students or individuals who recently immigrated
to the US.
- Four times as many men as women die by suicide; but women
attempt suicide up to three times more often than men.
- White American males over the age of 65 have the highest
rates of suicide; followed by black Americans between the ages
of 20 and 24 followed by white American women between the ages
of 40 and 50, followed by black American females who have a cyclical
rate of suicide, peaking at the beginning of a decade and then
dropping low at the middle of a decade after age 40.
- One in five Americans (22.1%), who are 18 or older suffer
from a diagnosable mental disorder.
- 9.5% of the American population who are 18 year and older
have a depressive disorder in a given year.
- 1.2% of the American population who are 18 years and older
have bipolar disorder.
- The average age for a first manic episode is in the twenties.
- 13.3% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 54 have an
- Approximately 10% of American women and 1% of American men
suffer from an eating disorder.
Division of Student Affairs, Baruch College, CUNY