Graduate Admissions Information - How To Apply
1. Completed Personal Information Form.
2. Non-refundable application fee of $135. Applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty, or members of the National Guard or Reserves are exempt from paying the graduate application fee. They should contact the SPA Admissions office and submit their DD-214 form or a copy of their military ID prior to applying.
3. Official transcripts of all postsecondary coursework at a college or university where a minimum of three courses were completed. Transcripts from foreign institutions should be sent to one of the following approved, accredited independent evaluation agencies prior to submission: AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers), or WES (World Education Services). Be sure to request a detailed evaluation that includes all course titles, credit hours, grades, recommended United States degree equivalency, grade-point average (GPA), and date of degree conferral. Verified transcripts and evaluations should then be forwarded to the SPA Admissions office. Transcripts should be accompanied by official English translations if they are in another language. Evidence of the completion of specific courses in mathematics, economics, or statistics is not required. However, when the Admissions Committee reviews applications it considers that applicants with a strong quantitative background are more likely to be successful in the School’s rigorous analytical courses. Prospective students are encouraged to strengthen their analytical skills by completing an introductory course in economics and/or statistics, and to submit the course transcript.
4. Two official letters of recommendation. Applicants will register recommenders via the online application. Recommenders may complete the entire process online. If a recommender cannot complete the process online for any reason, they may submit their recommendation directly to the SPA Admissions office. The recommendation letter should be on official letterhead and accompanied by the recommendation form, which is available in PDF format in the recommendation section of the online application. If the applicant is submitting the letter on behalf of the recommender, the documents must be in envelopes that bear the recommender's signature across the seal of the envelope to be considered official. Recommendation letters may be enclosed in ordinary envelopes.
5. Resume. Include employment and academic history, volunteerism and community service, honors, publications, leadership roles, professional association memberships, and other activities related to the applicant's career goals. Should be no more than 2 pages.
6. A 500-1000 word essay. This should describe a challenge facing your organization, field of interest, or a public policy issue. Discuss how your experience and proposed degree choice will help you address the challenge. Be sure to include why you want to pursue graduate studies at Baruch, and your career goals. Educational Leadership Programs applicants should refer to the application instructions for specific essay prompts. Use a 10 or 12 point standard font with one-inch margins. Grammatical errors and/or misspellings are looked upon unfavorably by the Admissions Committee. Essays are checked with software that detects plagiarism.
7. Official GRE scores (Graduate Records Examination) or the GRE Waiver Request. The criteria to apply for the GRE waiver is contingent upon successful completion of a Master's degree (or significant work toward one), OR possession of a competitive undergraduate academic record with a GPA of 3.0 or above. Please note that the GRE waiver request only a request. The admissions committee reserves the right to deny the GRE waiver request and require applicants to submit test scores before making a final decision. To expedite the score reporting process, ETS has assigned the School of Public Affairs the code 2027 as a unique identifier to be used by test takers to ensure the prompt reporting of official GRE scores directly to our Admissions office. Test takers should choose this code or simply select the 'School of Public Affairs at Baruch College' from the list of institutions provided. GRE scores are only valid for 5 years. In addition, we will accept either the GMAT or the LSAT as substitutes for the GRE. We encourage all applicants to adhere to the GRE requirement to remain competitive.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) www.gre.org
For GRE testing, registration information and preparation materials click the link above or call 1-800-GRE-CALL (1-800-473-2255).
Educational Testing Service (ETS) www.ets.org
ETS is the official administrator of the GRE and the world's largest private educational measurement organization. To learn more about ETS click the link above or call 1-609-921-9000.
International students are required to submit the following additional information for the application process:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) scores; (please use code 2027 to submit your TOEFL scores)
- Official transcripts and translations, and the International Student Supplement; (application for I-20 and financial support documents)
For more information, contact Baruch's International Student Service Center (ISSC).
Admission Requirements for Partnerships
SPA offers graduate degree programs through collaborations with the following organizations. Each partner organization handles admission decisions of their own program. Learn more about their application and screening process by visiting their sites:
- National Urban Fellows, Inc. (NUF) (Fellowship Program)
- Hunter College Graduate Admissions. (MPA/MS in Nursing Administration dual degree program)
- Advanced Leadership Institute (ALI). (School Building Leader (SBL) and School District Leader (SDL) certification programs
- New Leaders Aspiring Principals Program (Aspiring Principals Program)
- New York City Leadership Academy’s (NYCLA)
If you have questions about applying, please contact: email@example.com