academic advisement

A full range of advisement services are provided to students to ensure the successful completion of the School of Public Affair’s graduate programs. The advisement staff are all members of NASPA, the National Association of Student Administrators in higher education. 

The School's advisors work with students to develop a plan that best meets their scholastic and career aspirations. Graduate students have a program plan that lays out the courses they will complete each semester. BSPA students must complete the Major Declaration Form and are encouraged to meet with a School of Public Affairs advisor to understand the major’s requirements.

Newly admitted MPA and MSEd-HEA students are provided with academic information at New Student Graduate orientation sessions held by the School of Public Affairs prior to the semester in which they are first enrolled. Orientation is mandatory. Orientation details will be provided once students have notified the Office of Admissions of their intent to enroll. At orientation, students will learn about academic resources, review degree requirements with their advisors, meet current students and faculty, obtain a student ID, attend a technology workshop, and much more!

Specialized orientations are held for graduate students in the Executive MPA, National Urban Fellows-MPA, MS in Nursing Administration-MPA, and K-12 educational leadership programs. The date and time for the orientations are provided to students prior to the beginning of their first semester. 

Undergraduate student orientations are held in the summer and facilitated by the College’s Center for Academic Advisement.

Transfer Credits
Traditional MPA and MSEd-HEA students may transfer credits to Baruch College from other institutions. The Office of Academic Programs must be provided with a syllabus, official course description, and transcript with the grade received for each course. Graduate students are allowed a maximum of 12 credits.and courses have to be from an accredited graduate degree program. Courses used to complete another degree may not be transferred. Executive MPA and National Urban Fellows students are not permitted to transfer credits. Send transfer information to

The School of Public Affairs has articulation agreements with several community colleges to facilitate the easy transfer of credits for the BSPA degree. Public affairs transfer credits are in addition to credits transferred under the CUNY Pathway’s common and flexible course curriculum.  Baruch College has articulation agreements with the public administration program at Hostos Community College and the social sciences program at LaGuardia Community College. BSPA students should be in touch with the Transfer Evaluation Office once they have been admitted to Baruch College.

Course Registration
Student must claim their CUNYfirst account to register for classes. The Registrar assigns each student an appointment date and time to register. Be advised that an account hold may delay registration. Graduate students should meet with an advisor to fill out a program plan and ensure that they are completing the program in the correct sequence (i.e. taking core classes before electives).

Students in the Executive MPA and National Urban Fellows programs should claim their CUNYfirst account, but they will not register themselves; this will be done by the advisement staff. Those enrolled in the educational leadership partnership programs will also be registered automatically.  Students in the SAM program and those pursuing SDL certification must claim their CUNYfirst account and register themselves.

Students can view course details (description, time, instruction mode, etc.) by browsing through the Schedule of Classes. Courses with section codes SAM, NUF, XMPA are not open to traditional MPA or HEA students. Courses with a NET section code usually means the course is taught online or in a hybrid mode.

Students may add courses to their shopping cart prior to their registration time; HOWEVER, in order to register for those clases and be assured of a seat, students must click "Enroll" and "Finish Enrolling". Neither instructors nor advisors can add seats to a closed class; students should check the schedule regularly for course availability and changes.

Classes may be cancelled due to insufficient enrollment. Students will be notified of cancellations prior to the start of the semester via their Baruch email account. It may also happen that a new section of a course will be opened after registration has started. 

For instructions on navigating CUNYfirst, please click here or contact Baruch's Technology Center at or 646-312-1010.