National Urban Fellows-MPA
National Urban Fellows, Inc. (NUF) partners with Baruch College to deliver the MPA degree. The aim of the program is to prepare students from diverse backgrounds for leadership positions in government and nonprofit organizations. It has successfully prepared over 1,400 mid-career people of color and women for public service careers. There is an extensive network of NUF alumni from across the nation and internationally. NUF and Baruch College began their partnership in 1982.
Admission is competitive and made directly to NUF.
The MPA is attained in 14-months. Students begin the program with an intensive summer semester consisting of 12 core credits completed on the Baruch College campus. In the fall and spring semesters, fellows complete an additional 21 credits online while working full-time in a nine-month mentorship assignment with a public official or nonprofit administrator. Mentorship placements are arranged by NUF and may be in any location in the nation or Puerto Rico. The program concludes with a final summer semester consisting of nine credits completed on campus.
Each fellow receives a monthly stipend, health insurance, a book allowance, relocation and travel reimbursement, and payment of Baruch College tuition. Fellows attend a variety of networking events and leadership-relevant lectures. A special mid-year conference is held in January that brings fellows together with public affairs professors, NUF alumni, and civic leaders.
- Jonathan Engel, Professor and Academic Director, National Urban Fellows-MPA
- Maureen Samedy, Assistant Director of Academic Advisement
- PAF 9100 Introduction to Public Affairs
- PAF 9103 Communication in Public Settings
- PAF 9170 Research and Analysis I
- PAF 9172 Research and Analysis II
- PAF 9140 Budgeting and Financial Analysis I
- PAF 9160 Public and Nonprofit Management II
- PAF 9180 Policy Analysis
- PAF 9190 Capstone Seminar
- PAF 9318 Educational Policy or PAF 9715 Health Care Policy
- PAF 9130 Economic Analysis and Public Policy
- PAF 9151 Administration of the Nonprofit Sector and Voluntary Agencies
- PAF 9163 Leadership and Strategy in Public Affairs