Research Integrity Officer (RIO)
Resources for Responsible Conduct of Research
- Online Courses
- General Resources
- Conflict of Interest and Commitment
- Research Misconduct
- Dispute Resolution
- Human Subjects
- Animal Subjects
- Bibliographies and Suggested Readings
Online Certification Programs
- Collaborative Training Institute (CITI) Certification Programs: Has online courses with tests which provide proof of satisfactory completion. It is also possible for instructors and research administrators to design customized courses. City University of New York is affiliated with CITI.
- Description of all CITI Modules:
- Lab Animal Course: Results can be emailed to institution, but institutions must make arrangments in advance.
- Responsible Conduct of Research Course: Results can be emailed to institution if arrangments are made in advance. Institution can customize course to meet the needs of students.
- NIH Conflict of Interest Tutorial: About 40 slides (requires Flash player). Provides certificate of completion.
- NIH Human Subjects Training: Open to all; Provides a certificate of completion
- Program for Education and Evaluation in Responsible Research and Scholarship: Provides certification in Responsible Conduct of Research.
Other Online Courses
- Columbia University Responsible Conduct of Research Courses Portal: Six comprehensive online courses in Responsible Conduct of Research with extensive bibliographies. Recommended for the serious student.
- Office for Human Research Protections:
- Human Subjects Assurance Training: Recommended for Human Subjects Investigators; Advance arrangements must be made with institution's research administrator.
- Office of Research Integrity: For each topic there is a brief overview and a list of tutorials and resources.
- Open Seminar Tutorials: For many topics there are links to articles, and in some cases Powerpoint presentations.
- Research Ethics Net: Use topics tabs on main menu for pages on each topic. For each topic there is a brief overview, links to educational resources and to regulations.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Online courses; short previews and other resources available on this page.
Conflict of Interest and Commitment
- Columbia University Conflict of Interest Module: One page introduction, case study, references, and other resources.
- NIH Conflict of Interest Page:
- NIH Financial Conflict of Interest Tutorial: (requires Flash player); Provides certificate of completion.
- OEC Conflict of Interest Role Playing Scenarios: Six different scenarios, about one page each.
- ORI Short Tutorial on Conflict of Interest: Eight short chapters, about one page long each.
- RREE Conflict of Interest Page: One Background page with five other pages of information.
- Responsible Conduct of Research:
- Columbia RCR Authorship and Peer Review Module: One page introduction, three case studies, Question and Answers, approximately seven pages of resources.
- OEC Authorship Scenarios: Contrasts friendship with authorship. One page discussion and approximately eight other pages of resources.
- ORI RCR Resources on Authorship: Three tutorials in webpage format; some in other formats as well. Links to approximately 14 articles.
- RREE Authorship Page: Half-page of background; Five related pages.
- Responsible Conduct of Research Tutorials:
- Columbia RCR Research Misconduct Module: One-page introduction; Two case studies; Five related pages.
- ORI Research Misconduct Page: Three tutorials in web format; Two in pdf format; Links to approximately ten articles.
- RREE Research Misconduct Page: Half-page of background; Five related webpages.
- Responsible Conduct of Research:
- Michigan University Presentation on Resolving Conflicts Between Professors and Graduate Students: Powerpoint (23 slides).
- University of New Hampshire / ORI: Brief Guide for Resolving Authorship Disputes: Short (two half-pages).
- ORI Short Tutorial on Whistleblowing: One-page tutorial; Gives practical suggestions.
- Online Ethics Center:
- RREE Whistleblowing Page: One-page summary and four related resource pages.
- Office for Human Research Protections: FAQs: Links to FAQs on ten human research issues. Several questions are answered on each issue.
- NIH Human Subjects Training: Links to training resources and to regulations.
- OHRP Training Module: Recommended for investigators; You can use the "Browse" button to browse the tutorials without logging on. Each tutorial is about 20 pages long.
- Online Ethics Center; Human Subjects Role Playing: Four role playing scenarios, about one page each. Links to other resources.
- Open Seminar; Human Research; Summary and Resources: One-page summary, and links to related articles.
- ORI Human Subjects Resources Page: Links to five web-based tutorials, about ten articles and several organizations.
- RREE Human Subjects Page: One-page summary and links to five related pages.
- Lab Animal Course: Certification available; Contact your RIO Office, as arrangements must be made through your institution.
- NIH Office of Animal Care and Use: Links to NIH manuals, other regulations, and learning resources.
- ORI Animal Research Resources: Two web based tutorials, links to 6 articles and 3 organizations.
- OEC Animal Research Role Playing Page: Four role playing scenarios, about one page each; Two additional pages of resources.
- Open Seminar Animal Research Page: List of resources on left side of page.
- NIH Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare: Extensive collection of links. Scroll down to see the complete list.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: Book can be viewed online, downloaded in pdf form, or ordered in hard copy form.
- Online Training Videos: Tutorials available for six kinds of animals; About ten minutes each.
- Tutorial on PHS Animal Research Policies: Extensive list of links, organized by topic.
- RREE Animal Research Page: One-page summary and five related pages.
- Advancing Science Serving Society: Pertaining to research misconduct; Links to recent articles and many other resources.
- Columbia University Responsible Conduct of Research Courses Portal: Six web based tutorials. No sign-up required. Challenge questions and answers with each module.
- Collaborative Training Institute (CITI) Certification Programs: Certifications in Human Subjects Research, Animal Research, and Health Information Privacy and Security.
- Office for Human Research Protections: Links for education activities and materials.
- NIH Office of Management Analysis and Review Ethics Page: Applies to NIH funded research; Links to policies regarding conflict of interest.
- Office of Research Integrity(ORI): Education Page: Use search box on this page, or the links in categories above.
- Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Research: Education Page: Intended for educators. Resources can be found by using the search box or the links in categories above.
- Online Ethics Forum: A moderated forum. Anyone can ask ethics questions. It may take several days for responses to be posted.
- Open Seminar Tutorials: Short tutorials on many ethics topics; open to the public; Most topics include a summary and a reference list; Some have PowerPoint presentations.
- Program for Scholarly Intergrity (PSI): A wide range of useful resources. Use the checkboxes on the left hand side of main page to search.
- Program for Education and Evaluation in Responsible Research and Scholarship: Certification in Responsible Conduct of Research; PEERS has certification to meet NIH Human Subjects requirements.
- Resources for Research Ethics Education: Select the topics menu or use the link below:
- Topics: Includes tutorials on most RCR topics. Scroll down to see the complete list and use links. Each topic has a summary, and tabs on top for additional material. When you get to the summary for each topic, in some cases, case studies can be found by using the Resources tab and scrolling down.
- Educational Formats: Intended for educators for planning training programs.
- Discussion Tools: Also intended for educators. Useful suggestions for using different types of media. But topics link above is better for accessing specific material.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Tutorials and resource lists arranged by topic. Most tutorials are about ten pages long.
Bibliographies and Suggested Readings
- Best Practices in Graduate Education for the Responsible Conduct of Research: Book from the Council of Graduate Schools; Scroll down for online ordering.
- Dept of Health and Human Services: Protecting Human Subjects; Links for online tutorials, and for ordering CD, Video tape, or Guidebook.
- Ethics Training Materials: Geared for NIH research, and focused on Conflict of Interest issue; Links to booklets, pamphlets, posters, courseware. Links to Conflict of Interest regulations.
- Online Ethics Center: Resources for teachers and mentors; Role playing scenarios can be found by using search box.
- ORI Introduction to Responsible Conduct of Research: Book, which can be downloaded in pdf format or viewed on website for free; Hardcopy can be ordered online.
- ORI: RCR Resources: Pages for each topic with a list of resources. Has short web based tutorials.
- Open Seminar: Scroll to bottom to see subtopic links. Each topic has a page with related resources.
- PSI: Material is organized according to topic and media format; Use checkboxs on main page to search.
- RREE Topics Page: There is a set of pages for each topic, with a summary and resources.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: In addition to the tutorials, for each topic there is a link for resources.
Last updated on October 13, 2011