Office of the Registrar
eRoster - Instructions for Creating and Printing a Roll Book Roster
UPDATED June 1, 2010
The eRoster system allows instructors to view, print, and download their course rosters. These instructions will explain how to create and print a roll book roster using one of our preformatted templates.
This process should be followed for each course for which you would like to create a roll book roster. Please read the instructions all the way through before attempting to create it. Printing this page before beginning the process also might be helpful.
We suggest printing this page before proceeding with the process
Step 1 - Login and Download Your Course Roster
- Login to eRoster at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/roster
- Enter your last name and the last six digits of your SSN
- In eRoster click on the “Download Roster” button for the course for which you would like to create the roll book. (Do only one course at a time.) This will create a file ("roster.xls") that you will save to your computer. IMPORTANT - Be sure to note the location of the saved "roster.xls" file.
Step 2 - Download the Roster Template
- Download the Roster Template
Click on the “Roll Book Roster Template” link below of the appropriate enrollment size needed for your roster and save it to your desktop. (IE users - select “Save” button and save template file to the same location as the "roster.xls" file). You can choose between a letter- or legal-size format (i.e. 8½ x 11 or 8½ x 14 inches).
- Roll Book Roster Template - Letter format for enrollment up to 43 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Letter format for enrollment up to 86 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Letter format for enrollment up to 129 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Letter format for enrollment up to 172 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Legal format for enrollment up to 43 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Legal format for enrollment up to 86 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Legal format for enrollment up to 129 students
- Roll Book Roster Template - Legal format for enrollment up to 172 students
Step 3 - Populate Roster Template with Roster
Important - Setting Macro Security in Excel - Use of the roster template in Excel requires Excel macro security setting of 'Medium' and this must be configured to proceed. To set the macro security level select the 'Tools' menu option and then select 'Macro' and 'Security'. In the Security dialog, set the security level to Medium and select 'OK'. Proceed with the steps below.
- Open the "roster.xls" file on your desktop by double-clicking on it.
- Then open the roll book file template by double-clicking on it (select "Enable Macros" if prompted with a Security Warning message)
- Once you have both files open, make sure that the roll book file template is the one you see.
- Find the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard (“Ctrl” is also correct for Macs). Press and hold it while hitting the key for the letter “R” The roll book should be automatically populated with student information from the roster file.
- Save your roll book by selecting File > Save As and name the file as you prefer (e.g. “PSY1000 KM14” or “Introduction to Psychology”).
- Close the original "roster.xls" file and delete it from your desktop.
Printing your Roll Book Roster
The roll book is configured to print on an 8 1/2 x 11 (Letter) or 8 ½ x 14 (Legal) piece of paper on most printers. Print as you would any other file. If you would like a format similar to the original roll book roster, you can tape or staple the printed roster to a manila file or piece of card board.