Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Two Faculty Development Events Sponsored by the Bernard L. Schwartz Communication Institute
COME LEARN ABOUT BLOGS@BARUCH!
Thursday, September 13, 12:45-2:00, NVC 8-160
Blogs@Baruch is a publishing platform for the Baruch College community. It's used in dozens of courses and by various units at the College to meet their web publishing needs. In the past four years it has supported the work of more than 11,000 users and more than 2,000 individual sites. Here are some examples of sites on Blogs@Baruch:
- CIS 3810: Principles of New Media http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/cis3810/
- HIS 3460: Special Topics in American History—Digital History http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/digitalhistory/
- Teaching English@Baruch http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/teachingenglish/
- DOLLARS & $EN$E: Baruch College Review of Business and Society http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/dollarsandsense/
- Freshman Seminar http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/fro12/
Are you a faculty member interested in using Blogs@Baruch in your class? Do you have students interested in launching an online project, or who have questions about how to use Blogs@Baruch in your classes? The Schwartz Communication Institute will answer your questions, help you get started, and give you a sense of how you can get the most out of this system. We'd love to see you there! (No RSVP required.)
Improving Student Public Speaking with Video
Wednesday, September 19, 2:30-3:30 AND Thursday, September 20, 1:00-2:00, 137 E. 25th St., Room 323
This workshop will introduce faculty to the Video Oral Communication Assessment Tool (VOCAT), a web application developed and hosted at Baruch College to collect, store, and evaluate video recordings of students’ oral presentations: www.baruch.cuny.edu/vocat. We will review a model implementation of the tool in Communication Studies classes, survey the range of uses across the Baruch curriculum including in Management, Accountancy, and Theatre courses, and will show how to get started using the tool in your class.
RSVP to Communication.Institute@baruch.cuny.edu or 646-312-2065