General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the Baruch College faculty.
For an archive of announcements sent from the Associate Provost beginning June 2011, click here.
The student evaluation period runs from May 10 to May 21 for most of the college’s courses (Friday courses run from May 8 to May 19). The full schedule is listed at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/ote/evals/SCFE_ScheduleOfEvaluations_1162.htm.
Over the last few semesters, we’ve averaged 57-58% student participation in the evaluation process. This is considerably higher than the reported national average for online evaluations, but we’d like to do even better.
One thing you might consider is asking your students to complete the evaluations in class using smart phones or laptops—obviously, this implies letting them know in advance; note too that some students do not have access to these.
The QR Code (Quick Response Code) directly below also appears on posters/flyers throughout the campus. It takes students directly to the evaluation website using “smart” mobile devices. The QR Code also appears in the copies of the flyers that the Office of Testing and Evaluation sent to each instructor and in a Faculty Guide available at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/ote/evals/facultyinfo.html. This one may be copied and pasted into an email or handed out to your students:
Please note that during the evaluation period the instructor can monitor how many of her or his students have participated (but not which students have participated, nor any results) by signing in to https://baruch.cuny.edu/evals.
Please try to set aside a few minutes during an upcoming class to speak with your students about the evaluation process. Here are some things you might mention:
- the evaluation period runs May 10 through May 21 (Friday Classes: May 8 to May 19);
- responses to the survey are completely confidential; instructors will see results only after grades are released;
- you (and other instructors) actually use feedback from past course evaluations (For example: "Last semester the evaluations said I should make better use of the course website, and that is why this year I have been posting notes online...");
- students will receive (or already have received) emails addressed to their Baruch email accounts with directions for completing the evaluation surveys;
- students can see the results (many do not know this) at http://baruch.cuny.edu/evals once they’ve been posted (under “Evaluation Results and Reports”). Posting usually occurs several weeks after the end of the semester.
If you would like your students to complete the evaluations during class time, here are a few suggestions:
1. Let your students know in advance that this is your plan and advise them that if they would like to participate during class time they should bring their smart phones or laptops that day.
2. Your students can use a web browser on their smart phones or laptops to go to the login page that is indicated in the evaluation email they received on their Baruch accounts
3. Alternatively, your students can go to https://baruch.cuny.edu/evals to login and complete their course evaluations. You might write the address on the board. (Using the login page that they were sent will save a step or two.)
4. The students’ login information is the same username and password they use for accessing campus computers and Wi-Fi.
5. Feel free to make and circulate copies of the foregoing QuickResponse Code (QR Code), which can be scanned on some mobile devices.
Please note that if you are administering the evaluations in class, you must step outside the classroom for the designated period (roughly 15 minutes).
Questions? If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Gary Hotko in the Office of Testing and Evaluation at 646-312-4308 or by emailing email@example.com.
Thank you for your help!
Associate Provost and Assistant Vice President
Baruch College, CUNY
646-660-6504 (phone); 646-660-6531 (fax)