General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the the Baruch College faculty.
[DS: This is especially significant for those teaching in the first summer session.]
From: Kevin Wolff <Kevin.Wolff@baruch.cuny.edu>, Instructional Designer, Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
Dear Baruch Faculty and Staff:
Now that we are at the end of the semester, there are several updates regarding the Blackboard Upgrade that we would like to let you know about.
Blackboard 9.1 Upgrade Timeline
The end of the semester brings us to several milestones in the timeline of the project.
- 5/18 – 6/14: Spring 2012 courses will continue uninterrupted in the original Blackboard 8.0 environment.
- 5/18 – 5/24: All courses NOT for Spring 2012 and all organizations will be moved to the new Blackboard 9.1 environment. These courses and organizations will be unavailable in the new Bb 9.1 environment during the upgrade.
- 5/24: The new Blackboard 9.1 environment will become available. Summer course development can now resume in Bb 9.1.
- 5/24 – 6/14: During this time, there will be two active Blackboard environments:
- Bb 8.0 for all Spring 2012 courses.
- Bb 9.1 for all other courses since (and including) Spring 2011 and all organizations.
- For courses before Spring 2011 please ask the Help Desk to retrieve them from the archive.
- 5/29: The first Summer 2012 courses begin in the new Blackboard 9.1 environment. NOTE: SafeAssign (plagiarism detection software) will be temporarily unavailable in Blackboard 9.1.
- 6/15: The original Blackboard 8.0 environment will become unavailable.
- 6/15: SafeAssign will become available in Blackboard 9.1.
- 6/19: The process of moving the Spring 2012 courses into the Blackboard 9.1 environment will begin. This process is expected to take several weeks, during which time the Spring 2012 courses will be unavailable.
- 6/27: Fall 2012 course shells will be created in the new Blackboard 9.1 environment.
Faculty are being encouraged to develop their Summer 2012 Blackboard courses as soon as possible, as these courses will be unavailable during the actual upgrade. However, the revised dates will allow access to the courses in the new Blackboard 9.1 environment several days before Summer classes start. Please be aware that only courses from Spring 2011, Summer 2011, Fall 2011, and Summer 2012 are initially being brought over into Blackboard 9.1, and that Spring 2012 courses will be brought over into Bb 9.1 later. (Courses before Spring 2011 may be retrieved from the archive by request to the Help Desk.) Note also that there will be a period of time (May 18th – May 24th) when all courses (except Spring 2012 courses) and all organizations will be inaccessible. If you require access to those organizations and courses, we encourage you to contact the help desk for assistance in creating locally archived copies.
For more information, please visit http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/CIS/functions/bb/timeline.html.
Blackboard 9.1 Workshops and Resources
Our Blackboard 9.1 workshops have begun and the following sessions are scheduled in the coming weeks:
Introduction to Blackboard 9.1
- Thurs., May 17 1-2pm NVC 6-155
- Tues., May 22 1-2pm NVC 6-155
- Friday, May 25 12:30-1:30pm NVC 6-155
- Tues., May 29 10-11am Q Classroom, 6th floor, Library Bldg.
- Thurs., May 31 1-2pm Q Classroom, 6th floor, Library Bldg.
- Mon., June 4 10-11am Q Classroom, 6th floor, Library Bldg.
Seats may be reserved in the workshops by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please visit http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/bctc/training/faculty_training.html. Also, please visit www.cuny.edu/blackboard for details about the CUNY series of webinars on selected Blackboard 9.1 topics and to access video recordings of recent webinars.
The new CUNY Blackboard Information website is live at www.cuny.edu/blackboard, and contains detailed information on the upgrade, FAQs, instructional videos and user guides. You can also explore the “test” version of Blackboard 9.1 at http://bbupgrade.cuny.edu from now until May 31st. Although all your courses may not appear there, you can use the site to familiarize yourself with Bb 9.1’s features.
Thank you and please feel free to contact the Baruch help desk with questions, concerns, or your thoughts on the upgrade:
6th floor of Library Building
Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
Baruch College, City University of New York
151 East 25th Street, Room 618
New York, NY 10010
Help Desk: (646) 312-1010