General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the Baruch College faculty.
For an archive of announcements sent from the Associate Provost beginning June 2011, click here.
Baruch College has more than 200 students who are military veterans. The VITAL Initiative (Veterans Integration to Academic Leadership) is a partnership between VA New York Harbor Healthcare System and local colleges and universities that is designed to help Veterans navigate their needs and concerns and maximize their unique set of strengths, skills and life experiences as they develop and translate their interests and talents into the academic setting. The VITAL Initiative is the VA’s approach to reaching out to student Veterans to help facilitate the transition from soldier to student.
Student Veterans face a variety of barriers. The VA VITAL Initiative aims to remove some of these barriers and to emphasize the unique leadership abilities that student Veterans bring to their campus communities.
- Education: VITAL provides consultation and liaison services to the campus community with the purpose of educating faculty, staff, and students about the unique strengths and challenges facing student Veterans. These events also streamline services in a manner that enhances student Veterans’ academic pursuits.
- Outreach: VITAL facilitates a number of campus events to identify student Veterans and increase access to and enrollment in VA Health Care and provides full-time VA staffing to partner schools.
- Direct Services: VITAL staff are available on campus to assist Student Veterans with:
- Informing faculty about military culture
- Assisting campuses in creation of Student Veteran support programs
- Providing onsite mental health services, including: readjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety, and sleep problems
- Intake assessments, evidence-based psychotherapy, family & couples counseling
- Case management and enrollment into VA programs
- Connecting Veterans with campus-, community-, and state-based resources
- Advising and supporting student Veteran organizations on campuses
For more information
If you would like to learn more about the VITAL Initiative at Baruch College, contact our VITAL Initiative Coordinator, Yvette Branson, PhD at:
Associate Provost and Assistant Vice President
Baruch College, CUNY
646-660-6504 (phone); 646-660-6531 (fax)