- Broadway refers to the plays, musicals, and special
attractions presented in any of the 40 designated playhouses in Manhattan's
Theatre District, or on tour to Broadway theaters across North America.
- Broadway theaters are determined by two criteria:
- Geographical location:
- Between 34th and 56th Streets, and 5th and
- Between 56th and 72nd Streets, and 5th Avenue
and Hudson River
- Size: Seating capacity exceeds 500 seats.
- Most shows run between 90 minutes and slightly under
- Broadway theaters offer large scale productions with
professional actors and sometimes established stars. According to 2011-2012 season statistics, the average price for tickets are
- Broadway shows attract approximately 12 million admissions