- Broadway refers to the plays, musicals, and special attractions presented in any of the 40 designated playhouses in Manhattan's Theatre District, or on tour to Broadway theaters across North America.
- Broadway theaters are determined by two criteria:
- Geographical location:
- Between 34th & 56th Streets, and 5th & 9th Avenues
- Between 56th & 72nd Streets, and 5th Avenue & Hudson River
- Size: Seating capacity exceeds 500 seats.
- Most shows run between 90 minutes and slightly under three hours.
- Broadway theaters offer large scale productions with professional actors and sometimes established stars. According to 2014-2015 season statistics, the average purchase price for tickets were
- Currently, Broadway shows attract over 13 million admissions each year.