Baruch College Turns on the Lights to Celebrate Funding for New Light Fixtures

Bookmark and Share

Left to right: President Mitchel Wallerstein; Undergraduate Student Government President Antonio Alfonso; Council Member Rosie Mendez; Community Board 6 Chair Mark Thompson; Borough President Stringer Community Liaison Kristen Ellis Left to right: President Mitchel Wallerstein; Undergraduate Student Government President Antonio Alfonso; Council Member Rosie Mendez; Community Board 6 Chair Mark Thompson; Borough President Stringer Community Liaison Kristen Ellis

On March 19, 2012, Baruch College welcomed community leaders, administrators and students to the “Turn on the Lights Ceremony” outside its Newman Vertical Campus. This event celebrated the support received by legislators and community partners who helped provide funding for the Baruch College lighting enhancement project.

The project was developed in order to make the area around Baruch College’s North Campus safer for the college community and all pedestrians. Moreover, given that there are thousands of daily crossings on E. 25th Street between the Newman Vertical Campus and the Library Building, and that there is relatively low visibility in the area in the evening, the community came together to push for the installation of the new lighting.

Funding for the project was $642,000, of which Councilwoman Rosie Mendez led the effort to provide $500,000 in support, along with Hon. Scott Stringer, Manhattan Borough President who provided $142,000.

After a light reception in the Library Building, guests gathered outside the Newman Vertical Campus for the official lighting along 25th Street and brief remarks by President Wallerstein; Hon. Rosie Mendez, Councilmember; Kristin Ellis, Community Liaison from the Office of Hon. Scott Stringer, Manhattan Borough President; Mark Thompson, Chairman of Community Board 6; and Antonio Alfonso, President of the Undergraduate Student Government. Members of Community Board 6 attended the special event, along with the members of the 23rd Street Association, who were acknowledged for dedicating their efforts toward the development and growth of the 23rd Street area since 1929.