PNY TECHNOLOGIES HOSTS ITS FIRST COLLEGIATE VIDEO GAMING TOURNAMENT AT ON-SITE GAMING CENTER
PARSIPANNY, N.J., - May 11, 2006 – Cyber athletes from four Metro NY area colleges and universities recently competed for more than $7,000 in scholarships and prizes, swag and first place standing at PNY Technologies® on-site gaming center. Sponsored and managed by Cyber Square, the video game tournament entitled the “College Challenge” was designed to test the skills of mainstream and enthusiast gamers.
Twenty gamers attended the April 28 event held at PNY’s headquarters in Parsippany, NJ. PNY’s in-house gaming center allowed players to compete using gaming rigs equipped with high-end components, including PNY Verto® Hi-Speed Gaming Memory and Verto GeForce™ Graphics Cards. The teams competed in the six-hour Counter-Strike 1.6 tournament for the chance to win scholarships, PNY-brand hardware and sponsor swag. Round-robin matches were played to determine initial team seeding, which then lead to a single-elimination bracket format. The five-person college teams included students from Rutgers, College of New Jersey, The City University of New York (CUNY) and the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).
“PNY’s video game tournament presented us with a great opportunity to forge solid relationships with the college gaming community,” said Chad Vroman, product manager for PNY Technologies. “And the relationships we have with other sponsors like web2zone’s Cyber Square video game event management and consulting services allows PNY to continue to tap into this market at many levels. E-sports and competitive gaming in general, is a fast growing trend which PNY has positioned itself well to capture significant market share.”
Team prize packages included:
- 1st Place – Team ReD HawX (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Students) received a $1,500 Team Scholarship; a PNY Verto GeForce 7600 GT PCIe Video Card (each player); and a 2GB PNY Attaché ® Flash Drive (each player).
- 2nd Place – ScarleT NightZ (Rutgers University Students) received a PNY Verto GeForce 6600 STD PCIe Video Card (each player) and a PNY 1GB Attaché Flash Drive (each player).
- 3rd Place – Team BarE KatZ (CUNY Baruch Students) received a PNY 1GB Attaché Flash Drive (each player) and a PNY 2GB MP3 Player (each player).
- 4th Place – Team LionZ (College of New Jersey Students) received a PNY 512MB Attaché Flash Drive (each player) and a PNY 1GB MP3 Player (each player).
Cyber Square Host Video Game Tournament
"It was great for the gamers to actually meet the people behind the brand. By tangibly identifying with PNY, the gamers walked-away with an increased loyalty to the brand and a greater appreciation for the continued support PNY offers to the e-sports community,” said Edward Tomasi, director of marketing for web2zone’s Cyber Square division.
Product sponsors included:
- Steel Series® supplied twenty-four (24) SteelSound 5H Professional Gaming Headsets, which enabled the players to accurately hear in-game audio and communicate with other team members.
- BAWLS® provided three cases of Guarana™ (regular) and Guaranexx ™ (sugar free). The carbonated beverages are made from a highly caffeinated berry native to the Amazonian rainforest. BAWLS also supplied five swag bags that were part of the first place team prize package.
About PNY Technologies, Inc.
Established in 1985, PNY Technologies®, Inc. is a leading supplier and marketer of NVIDIA Quadro® by PNY Technologies professional graphics boards and Verto-brand consumer graphics cards. The company also offers a full line of high-end memory upgrade modules, flash media, USB flash drives and flash peripherals. Headquartered in Parsippany, N.J., PNY maintains facilities in North America (Santa Clara and Orange County, Calif., Miami, Fla. and Parsippany, N.J.), Europe (Benelux, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, United Kingdom,) and Asia (Taiwan). For more information, please visit http://www.pny.com.
About Cyber Square
As a division of web2zone, Inc., Cyber Square was originally formed in December 2004 to organize and govern a standardized, venue-based platform for competitive video gaming events and tournaments throughout North America. It has an established history of successfully managing hundreds of video game tournaments and events for global video game leagues, sponsors and media clients. Through its bottom-up project approach and keen focus on maximizing the client’s return-on-sponsorship (ROS) value, Cyber Square has established itself as the most trusted name in video game event management and logistics in North America. Cyber Square executes on client initiatives by offering strategy consulting, event management and interactive technology solutions needed to deliver the desired results. For more information, please contact Edward Tomasi at (212) 614-7300×14.