Zicklin Undergraduate Permission System (ZUPS) Saves Students Time
The Zicklin Undergraduate Office introduced an online permission request system in fall ‘05, allowing students to quickly make all registration-related permission requests via the Web. The Zicklin Undergraduate Permission System (ZUPS) has sped up and simplified what was once a time-consuming and potentially confusing procedure.
Phyllis Zadra, the associate dean of the Zicklin School of Business, was aware of the need to streamline the permission process. “Sometimes students were unaware of the appropriate office to visit in order to make the request, and almost always students ended up sitting around waiting to be seen by staff who were overwhelmed with requests pertaining to registration,” she said.
Now, students simply choose from a list of permission requests, click on the appropriate link, and complete the resulting request form. Students are then notified via email as to the status of their submitted request.
Types of permission that can be requested online:
- To take CIS 2200 with BUS 1000 as a co-requisite
- To take 3000-level business courses when all eight pre-business courses will be completed by the end of spring 2006
- To take 3000-level business courses prior to completing all eight pre-business courses when pre-business courses will be completed in summer 2006
- To take ACC 5400 with ACC 4100
- To take ACC 5400 with ACC 4100 and 4300 (3.2 GPA in accounting and overall required)
- To waive pre- or co-requisites for business courses
- For a credit overload
- For BA and BS majors to take 3000-level business courses
- For CUNY BA students to take 3000-level business courses
- For undergraduate permit students to take business courses
- For non-degree or post-baccalaureate students to take business courses
With approximately 3,000 students requesting some type of permission in each registration period, ZUPS was extremely helpful to both students and the Dean’s Office in ensuring that permission requests were processed efficiently last semester. It is expected to be well received in the upcoming online registration period (4/3 – 6/1) for summer 2006 as well.
Communications and Marketing
ZUPS will re-open on Wednesday, March 29, 2006