Admissions Requirements and Process

To apply to our graduate degree programs, please follow the steps below. If you have questions, please contact the Austin W. Marxe School of Public and International Affairs' Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services at or call 646-660-6750.

1. Submit your application online and pay a non-refundable application fee of $125
Applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on active duty, or members of the National Guard or Reserves are exempt from paying the graduate application fee. These applicants should contact our admissions office and submit their DD-214 form or a copy of their military ID prior to submitting the application.

2. Official transcripts of all postsecondary coursework at a college or university where nine or more credits were attempted

Transcripts should be accompanied by official English translations if they are in another language. Translations should done through a reputable and accredited translation service. Transcripts will need to be evaluated if issued from a country where the education system is different from the U.S. such as a three year Bachelor’s degree. We accept evaluations from WES(World Education Service) and also from evaluators that are a member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). Be sure to request a detailed evaluation that includes all course titles, credit hours, grades, recommended United States degree equivalency, grade-point average (GPA), and date of degree conferral. Verified transcripts and evaluations should then be forwarded to the Admissions office.

Evidence of the completion of specific courses in mathematics, economics, or statistics is not required.  However, when the Admissions Committee reviews applications it considers that applicants with a strong quantitative background are more likely to be successful in the School's rigorous analytical courses. Prospective students with little or no quantitative preparation are encouraged to submit GRE scores or strengthen their application by completing an introductory course in economics and/or statistics, and to submit the course transcript. Send all official transcripts and documents to our official mailing address:

Baruch College - Austin W. Marxe School of Public and International Affairs
Office of Graduate Admissions & Enrollment Services
One Bernard Baruch Way, Box D-0901
New York, NY 10010-5585

Former CUNY Students and Alumni: If you attended a college within the City University of New York (CUNY) after 2003, our graduate admissions office will access and obtain your academic records on your behalf upon submission of your application.  Please be sure to disclose attendance at all colleges or universities in the academic history section of the application. We encourage applicants to obtain and review copies of all their academic records before applying. Please note, if you attended other institutions outside of CUNY, even if credits were transferred to your CUNY academic records, you will need to request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended and have them sent to our admissions office. If you attended a CUNY school prior to 2003, you must request official transcripts from the individual college(s) you attended.

3. Two official letters of recommendation
Applicants will register recommenders via the online application. Recommenders may complete the entire process online. If a recommender cannot complete the process online for any reason, they may submit their recommendation directly to the School's Graduate Admissions office. The recommendation letter should be on official letterhead and accompanied by the recommendation form, which is available in PDF format in the recommendation section of the online application. If the applicant is submitting the letter on behalf of the recommender, the documents must be in envelopes that bear the recommender's signature across the seal of the envelope to be considered official. Recommendation letters may be enclosed in ordinary envelopes.

4. Resume
Include employment and academic history, volunteerism and community service, honors, publications, leadership roles, professional association memberships, and other activities related to the applicant's career goals. Resumes should be no more than 2 pages.

5. 500-1000 word essay
This should describe a challenge facing your organization, field of interest, or a public policy issue. Discuss how your experience and proposed degree choice will help you address the challenge. Be sure to include why you want to pursue graduate studies at Baruch College, and your career goals. Use a 10 or 12-point standard font with one-inch margins. Grammatical errors and/or misspellings are looked upon unfavorably by the Admissions Committee. Essays are checked with plagiarism-detection software.

6. Official GRE scores (Graduate Record Examination) or the GRE Waiver Request

Applicants to the MPA, MIA and MSEd in Higher Education Administration are required to submit official GRE scores, but may request a waiver within the application. Applicants to the Executive MPA are not required to submit GRE scores.

For MPA, MIA, and MSEd Higher Education Administration applicants: the criteria to apply for the GRE waiver is contingent upon successful completion of a Master's degree (or significant work toward one), OR possession of a competitive undergraduate academic record with a GPA of 3.0 or above. Please note that the GRE waiver request is only a request. The admissions committee reserves the right to deny the GRE waiver request and require applicants to submit test scores before making a final decision. To expedite the score reporting process, ETS has assigned the Austin W. Marxe School of Public and International Affairs the code 2027 as a unique identifier to be used by test takers to ensure the prompt reporting of official GRE scores directly to our Admissions office. Test takers should choose this code or simply select the 'School of Public Affairs at Baruch College' from the list of institutions provided. GRE scores are only valid for 5 years. While the GRE is preferred, we will accept either the GMAT or the LSAT as substitutes for the GRE.

Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
For GRE testing, registration information, and preparation materials click the link above or call 1-800-GRE-CALL (1-800-473-2255).

Educational Testing Service (ETS)
ETS is the official administrator of the GRE and the world's largest private educational measurement organization. To learn more about ETS click the link above or call 1-609-921-9000.

International Applicants
International students are required to submit the following additional information for the application process:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) scores; (please use code 2027 to submit your TOEFL scores). Applicants who completed their Bachelor's Degree in a country where English is not an official language are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
  • Official transcripts and translations, and the International Student Supplement; (application for I-20 and financial support documents).

For more information, contact Baruch's International Student Service Center (ISSC).

Internship Requirement
Applicants admitted to the MPA, MIA, or MSEd-HEA program who do not have at least one year of relevant experience will be required to complete an internship and an additional 3-credit internship class as part of their program. The internship requirement will be explicitly stated in the acceptance letter. Students should speak to an academic advisor early on in their program to fully understand the requirement.

Admission Requirements for Partnership Programs
We are pleased to offer degree programs in collaboration with valued partner organizations. These well-respected organizations can provide you with the academic opportunities and specialized coursework needed to pursue advanced leadership positions in nursing, healthcare, education, and other policy areas. Each partner organization handles the admission decisions of their respective program.

To apply to these programs, please visit their websites below.

If you have questions about applying to these programs, please contact Austin W. Marxe School of Public and International Affairs' Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services at