Public Exhibit
    Section 3   [go to Book--baruch only]
      > main > toc
"" "" ""

""

HISTORY OF BARUCH
PUBLIC EXHIBIT

3. WAR AND POSTWAR :
"DOWNTOWN CITY," 1940-1955

"" < prev section next section >
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.1 "" Bernard M. Baruch: A Dedication (October 8, 1953)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Photograph of Bernard M. Baruch at ceremony changing the name of the college to Bernard M. Baruch School of Business and Public Administration, October 8, 1953. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.2 "" "Bernard M. Baruch. A Dedication." (1953)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Bernard M. Baruch was an 1889 graduate of the College of the City of New York. There had been great changes at the college since his student days, but Baruch recognized that his solid education was a contributing factor in his later success as a financier and advisor to a succession of American Presidents. He was always an active alumnus and a substantial gift to the college led to the renaming of the School of Business and Civic Administration of the College of the City of New York to the Bernard M. Baruch School of Business and Public Administration in 1953. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.3 "" "Special Convocation to pay tribute to the Honorable Bernard M. Baruch On the Occasion of the naming of The Bernard M. Baruch School of Business and Public Finance, The City College of New York"   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The naming of the college was a major event in the history of municipal education in New York City. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.4 "" Photograph of Dean Herman Feldman (c.1940)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  ""

From The Collection of the Baruch College Archives.

 

"" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.5 "" "Dean Mayers Asks Aid in Open Letter" (November 13, 1939)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" In the years preceding the momentous name change of the college, there were several issues that the administration of the school needed to address. The physical condition of the school was abysmal, and the curriculum also needed to be updated. For a short period of time Law Professor Lewis Mayer took over the School of Business, but by 1940 Herman Feldman, coming from Dartmouth College assumed the job of Dean. He attempted to address the numerous problems of the school over the next two years, but returned to Dartmouth in the fall of 1942. [The source of this article is from the Ticker.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.6 "" "Faculty Members Discuss College Reorganization" (November 6, 1939)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The faculty were concerned about the reorganization of the School of Business. Questions were raised concerning whether the college should offer a broad business eduaction or a curriculum aimed to train students for a specific prefession. [The source of this article is from the Ticker.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.7 "" The Bar (May 1941)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Changes in the curriculum at the School of Business and Civic Administration were slow to be implemented. Before the tenure of Dean Lewis Mayer who created a new Department of Business Administration few changes occurred. However, there was a Law Department created in 1936. The Law Society of the school issued The Bar, which published articles by prominent lawyers and accountants. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.8 "" "Sun Editor Outlines Basic Wardrobe for CCNY Girls" (October 30, 1939)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The municipal colleges in New York City had since their inception been a haven for children of immigrants. Many of the students had limited exposure to the social graces which were instilled in young people generations removed from their old world roots. It was a concern not only at the School of Business but at other campuses that students needed instruction in civics, appropriate dress, cleanliness and the basics of etiquette. [The source of this article is from the Ticker.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.9 "" "New Branch of College Inaugurated" (October 10, 1939)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Many new government agencies were created under Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s “New Deal” and well-qualified candidates were needed to fill new positions. The School of Business tried to respond to the demand by creating The Division of Public Service Training in 1939, a two-year curriculum to train for careers in public service. [The source of this article is from the Ticker.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.10 "" Officers Club (1943)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Patriotism among the students at the School of Business during World War II was illustrated in many ways. The formation of an Officers Club was one such example. [Lexicon, 1943. From the collections of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.11 "" Intensive Business Training    
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" After World War II the municipal colleges attempted to adapt curriculums and facilities to the returning veterans. At the School of Business an Intensive Business Training Institute was begun offering non-credit courses in a variety of subjects including advertising, small business management, etc. The program was terminated in 1955. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.12 "" Photograph of Dean Ruckes (c.1943)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" During the war years, Professor Herbert Ruckes led an Administrative Committee which governed the School of Business and Civic Administration. He wasn’t given the title of Dean until shortly before the arrival of his successor in 1945. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.13 "" "Non-Degree Students Reach 9,000 In Specialized Training Courses" (October 6, 1949)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  ""
The Evening and Extension Division of the School of Business was another avenue of opportunity for returning veterans as well as the general public. The program began in 1946 and offered courses in a variety of fields including sales, advertising, finance etc. [The source of this article is from the Reporter]
"" image link
"" "" "" "" ""
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.14 "" "Reap Rewards in Retailing" (1952)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  ""

Retailing was an important program at the School of Business. Nathan Orbach supported a new Cooperative Business Training Program, which aimed to link businessmen with students. [Lexicon, 1952. From the collection of the Baruch College.]

 

"" image link
         
"" "" ""
 
"" "" "" "" ""
3.15 "" “City College Is Ready for Police Academy” (April 23, 1925)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The connection of municipal colleges and the New York City Police Department dates to the 1920s when the Police Academy was opened in the Commerce Building of the College of the City of New York. By the 1940s an in-service training course for prospective policeman was started there which was a two-year course of study. However, World War II intervened and it was not until the mid 1950s that the School of Business and the Police Academy united and initiated a degree-granting program. [The source of this article is from the New York Time, April 23, 1925.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.16 "" “Meet Dr. Robert Love Sincere Humanitarian,” (March 11, 1953)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Dr. Robert Love was the Assistant Director of the Evening and Extension Division beginning in 1945. This was a powerful position following the war when the degree candidates and non-matriculants in the evening session made up an extremely large percentage of the total student enrollment. [n.p. From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.17 "" Faculty and Staff Newsletter (May 1959)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The Faculty and Staff Newsletter was published to up-date both the faculty and staff about the accomplishments of the faculty as well as keeping them abreast of new developments at the college. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.18 "" "Situations Wanted by the class of 1939"   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The school newspaper the Ticker wanted the School of Business and Civic Administration to maintain its own employment office. In 1939 a professional employment officer was hired. To promote the attributes of graduates of the college pamphlets were published to help students with their job searches. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.19 "" "Need intelligent employees? This message from the Class of 1941 will interest you….."   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" After 1939, for several years, the graduating classes published pamphlets providing prospective employers with sketches of graduates of the School of Business. [From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""

3.20

"" Ticker Reporters (1952)   ""
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" Extracurricular activities were always popular at the 23rd street campus. the Ticker, originally dating from May 7, 1932 was the school newspaper which gave students the opportunity to explore their journalistic abilities. [Lexicon, 1952. From the collections of the Baruch College Archives.]

"" image link
         
"" "" ""
""
"" "" "" "" ""
3.21 ""

Lamport House

   
"" "" "" "" ""
  "" The School of Business was in need of adequate space for student activities, and in 1953 the Children's Court on 22nd Street moved its facility and the college took over the building. Mr. and Mrs. Lamport were generous contributors to the new student center. It became known as the Arthur M. Lamport House [Lexicon 1953. From the collection of the Baruch College Archives.] "" image link
         
"" "" ""
"" < prev section next section >
   

 

 

 


HISTORY OF BARUCH COLLEGE - Exhibit
Go to the Baruch College Archives' Main Page