Back to Main TOC  SUBWAY UNIVERSITY previous   next
Back to Main TOC
Back to Main TOC

 THE IND ARRIVES AT
 145TH STREET

     
Students riding the 6th ave. Courtesy of the CCNY Archives. See larger image.

With its Manhattan routing along 6th and 8th Avenues, the new line was intended to destroy the Els of the West Side. They were preventing the redevelopment of major avenues in Manhattan and their days were numbered. Between 1938 and 1941 the 2nd, 6th and 9th Avenue Els were torn down. The 3rd Avenue El operated until 1955.

The IND which opened in September 1932 took passengers from Jackson Heights to Manhattan. During the next few years the line was extended into Brooklyn and after World War II it was extended to 205th Street in the Bronx, 179th Street in Queens, and to Coney Island and the Rockaways.

Working on a single track tunnel. Courtesy of the Jacob Field Collection, CCNY Archives. See larger image.

In 1940, New York City acquired the assets of the IRT and the BMT companies and took over their operation.

Hagstrom's first complete map of the New York Subways. From "Twelve Historical New York City Street Transit Maps from 1960-1967", (H & M Productions, 1997).
See larger image.

 

 SUBWAY UNIVERSITY previous   next

Go to Newman Library Digital Collections Main Page