Skip to content

International Student Service Center


If you are planning a trip within the United States by car, bus, train or air plane, to U.S. cities near or far, it is essential that you have your passport and visa documents with you. Since the attacks of September 11, 2001, there has been heightened security not only at all border crossings, but also at bus terminals, train terminals, and airports throughout the United States.

Therefore, students are urged to be sure to have their passport, visa documents (I-94 card and SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019), and Baruch College student ID card with them for ALL distance travel, even travel within New York State. In addition, be sure that your current I-20 or DS-2019 has an authorizing signature for travel.

If you are applying for a change of non-immigrant status, visa petition or EAD card, be sure to carry your application receipt notice as well, which proves that you have an application pending with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A person without valid travel documents can be arrested, threatened with deportation and taken into Department of Homeland Security (DHS) custody.