Skip to content

International Student Service Center


  • Your SEVIS I-20 must be valid at all times. It is your responsibility to check the program’s end date (see item #5 on your SEVIS Form I-20) and if necessary have your SEVIS I-20 extended 30days BEFORE it expires.

  •  You will receive a continued attendance SEVIS I-20 after registration of classes. You must use this recent SEVIS I-20 for travel.
  • Your passport must be kept valid at all times.

  • You must inform the ISSC and CAPS Offices of a change of address within 10 days of moving.

  • You must register full-time every semester. Full-time status is 18 hours.

  • Students enrolled in the ESL Program must complete the equivalent of one (1) academic year or four (3) terms.  You must first get a term exemption letter from the Continuing Education department and submit it to the International Student Service Center before receiving approval for a term exemption.

  • In addition to registering full-time, you must successfully COMPLETE 18 hours each term. You cannot withdraw from a class if it will make you part-time, without authorization from ISSC.

  • You must be in good academic standing and maintain a 2.5 (ESL) or 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) CABPS students respectively.
  • YOU MUST PAY YOUR TUITION BILL on time or you would fall out of status.
  • If you travel during a school break, you must come to the ISSC at least TWO WEEKS prior to your trip to have your SEVIS I-20 signed. You must bring your SEVIS I-20 and your passport to ISSC. New students MUST enter the United States by the date on your SEVIS I-20 (see item #5 on SEVIS I-20). Continuing students must return to Baruch by the beginning of the next term or by the first day school reopens, after your summer/winter break. You MAY NOT BE ABLE to return to the United States after that time. It is recommended that you get your SEVIS I-20 signed at least once a term.

  • If you are working on-campus or at another CUNY college, you must be RE-CERTIFIED to work each semester. You must bring a letter of employment to ISSC for approval, before you can begin work

  • You are not permitted to work off campus, unless you are on your Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students in the English as a Second Language (ESL) Program are not eligible for OPT.

  • If you are a graduating certificate student, you can apply as early as 3 months (90 days) prior to graduation for your OPT. NOTE: STUDENTS MUST UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE TO APPLY AFTER THEIR LAST DAY OF CLASS.