Baruch Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) Office
Important Information for PI's Conducting Research in Schools
- Principal Investigators conducting research at schools must provide the CUNY UI IRB with a permission letter from the school(s) where subjects will be enrolled and recruited. The permission letter should be signed by the school principal or authorized official on school stationary. IRB approval will be contingent upon the receipt of this letter.
Conducting Research at New York Public Schools
- Principal Investigators conducting research at a New York Public School must receive written permission from the school's principal and the Department of Education (DOE) IRB approval. CUNY UI IRB protocols will not be approved without a signed permission letter from the principal on school stationary.
- CUNY UI IRB approval will also be contingent upon receipt of the Department of Education (DOE) IRB approval. Research at New York public schools can not be conducted without prior DOE IRB approval.
- For DOE IRB proposal guidelines, please click here.
- For DOE IRB frequently asked questions, please click here.
- "Research in NYC Public Schools" presentation by Mary C. Mattis, Chair, NYCDOE IRB
For more information about the Department of Education policies and to submit the DOE on-line application form, please go to the Department of Education Website.