Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (SPAR)
Pre-Employment Background Checks for Research Foundation Employees
As of 7/1/04, all applicable Research Foundation employees, by unanimous request of the RF board of Directors, will be required to undergo the background check screening process by completing the “COMBINED DISCLOSURE NOTICE AND AUTHORIZATION REGARDING BACKGROUND CONSUMER REPORTS” form giving the Research Foundation and its vendor authorization to conduct a background check. The background check will consist of, but is not limited to, a social security number verification, a Criminal Nation Scan and NY-statewide criminal registry.
The employees that must fulfill this requirement will be those that:
- Are new Full Time and Part Time A employees to the Research Foundation payroll system that are being appointed on or after 7/1/04.
- Are previous Full time and Part Time A employees to the Research Foundation that are being reappointed after a 30-day or more break in service from their last appointment on an account at the Research Foundation. (This reappointment will take place on or after 7/1/04)
- Are previous employees to the Research Foundation that are being reappointed on a continuous employment on the same project and/or account with a promotion. (This reappointment will take place on or after 7/1/04)
All employees must complete the background check form irrespective of whether or not they fall within the categories being checked now. The form clearly states that the RF may check at any time during the employment duration.
Background Check Screening Process
It is imperative that all reappointments or new employee paperwork are submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (SPAR) prior to any work being performed by the employee so that the employee’s background check can be completed before hire.
For new employees, the process commences when the Research Foundation receives the “new hire” paperwork (this can be downloaded at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/grants/RFNew_Employees.htm) from SPAR or the Project Director/Grant recipient. For reappointed employees, the process commences when the Research Foundation receives the electronic Personnel Action Form (PAF) via the RF’s E-PAF system. The next steps are:
1) Upon receiving the background check form along with the new hire paperwork, Brett Andres ; the RF Personnel Action Form (PAF) Clerk for Baruch College, sends a background check query to the Research Foundation’s vendor (the length of time for queries are 24 to 48 hrs).
2) The RF Human Resources Representative for Baruch College, will get the results of the background queries from the vendor for each required employee.
3) In the case that the result of the investigation was OK, the PAF will be input to the RF system, the PI will be emailed to submit the e-PAF, as usual. Once the e-PAF is submitted the Grants & Contracts Department’s Project Administrator will approve the appointment for the account just as it has always been done.
4) In the case that the result of the investigation is adverse, Sacheen McWatt will bring the result for further review to Wendy Pattitucci, Director of Human Resources, and, in some cases, to the RF’s designated review panel for background checks. The Project Director/Grant recipient, the employee, and the SPAR office will be consulted, as well. The appointment may not be processed depending upon whether or not the adverse hit has a nexus to the appointment.
5) For all adverse results, the employee will have reasonable length of time (approximately five days) to appeal the result with the RF’s vendor.
For more information about this policy and to download the required form, please go to the Research Foundation website. Please use the new RF Employment Application Form (located at the SPAR New Hire Processing Webpage) which contains a statement that the employment will be subject to the outcome of the background check.
Last Updated: 12/11/2012