Financial Aid

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Recipients are offered the opportunity to work 20 hours a week at various types of jobs both on and off campus. To be eligible for the Federal Work Study Grant, students must complete a FAFSA and complete the appropriate forms each year.

You can view your Federal Work-Study (FWS) award by logging into your CUNY Portal account. You will also receive an award letter through the mail.

If you are eligible to begin working in the summer, a Federal Work Study orientation registration email will be sent by the middle of June. If you are waiting until the fall, a  registration orientation email will be emailed to you in August. Therefore, it is important that you activate and use your Baruch Email Account.

You are required to attend one orientation each academic year. It is there where you will receive a listing of available job placements and the terms and conditions of the Federal Work Study program.

Please read the FAQs. If you have any further questions, please email the Work Study Coordinator, Mrs. Walters, at


Employment opportunity through CUNY and other employers.


NOTE: When submitting timesheets, please only put the last four digits of student's social security number.


Frequently Asked Questions


What are the benefits of the FWS Program?

There are a number of benefits associated with FWS participation. Some of these are:

  • If you have never had a job, the FWS program can give you your first exposure to the world of work. FWS employers are often willing to give you on-the-job training.
  • You can find positions relating directly to your program of study or career choice, thereby gaining valuable job experience.
  • You may learn about giving something back to the community through a community service related FWS position.
  • When seeking regular employment after graduation, you may use your FWS job as an employment reference.
  • A FWS position can sometimes lead to a permanent job with the agency that hired them as FWS students.

What is the FERPA Agreement?

  • As a student employee at Baruch College, you may be granted access to confidential and private records of students, faculty, staff, and applicants for admission or employment. All of these records are protected from disclosure to third parties under CUNY, as well as Federal and State privacy laws. In particular student records are protected by the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and must be treated as confidential.
  • If as part of your job responsibilities you are required to release information about faculty, staff, students, or applicants for admission or employment, you will be directed to so by your FWS supervisor in writing.
  • You should avoid acquiring student information that you do not need to do your job, nor should you exchange information about students that you may have learned while performing your job. Even a minor disclosure of information (such as telling another student of someone's class schedule) could be a violation and result in penalties including the loss of your job, and possibly the denial of future employment through the FWS program.
  • You will be required to sign a statement agreeing that you will abide by the FERPA provisions of confidentiality while you are employed as a FWS student.

How do I apply?
To be considered for this award, you must fill out your financial aid applications by an established filing deadline and request consideration for FWS by checking the appropriate box on the FAFSA. FWS money is awarded on a first-come, first served basis. The College receives a fixed amount of money each academic year to make FWS awards. Once this money is awarded, the funds are exhausted for the academic year. You are encouraged to file your FAFSA early.

When you receive your award letter from the College, it will indicate whether or not you have been awarded FWS.

Students not eligible for FWS and International Students:

International students cannot receive FWS, and students who are not eligible for FWS may be eligible to work through Baruch Student Employment (BSEP).  Students must file their FAFSA prior to working on BSEP.  International students are exempt from filing the FAFSA.  Students must find a department in Baruch College that has BSEP money. If the department would like to hire you, you would make an appointment with the Work Study Coordinator.

                                                                                            back to top

Where would I work?
Where you work depends on the amount of your award, class schedule and job skills. To the maximum extent possible, the FWS Placement Office tries to place you in a job that complements or reinforces your educational program or career goals. You may work either on-campus in one of the departments of the College or off-campus at a number of non-profit community service agencies affiliated with CUNY. Also, it may be possible for you to work at selected companies in the private sector that choose to participate in the program. If you receive a small award or have a heavy class schedule, you will usually be placed on-campus.

                                                                                           back to top

Can I choose where I would like to work?
Yes. If you receive a FWS award, you will come to the Financial Aid Office at the beginning of the term for placement. If you have a department that would like to hire you, have them contact the Work Study Coordinator, so that you may be placed.  You may then begin to work once the tax documents, I-9 form, and contract are received by the Work Study Coordinator.

                                                                                            back to top

Can I earn as much money as I want?
No. Your FWS award represents the maximum amount you may earn for the academic year. How much of the total award you actually receive depends upon your rate of pay, the total number of hours you work each week and the number of weeks you work in the year. Once you have earned your maximum FWS award, you will have to stop working.

                                                                                            back to top 

Am I paid an hourly wage or a salary?
You are paid by the hour, your rate of pay being determined by the job location and the nature of the work involved. You will receive at least $7.50 per hour for on-campus positions. The rate of pay for jobs off-campus range from $7.50 to $9.00 per hour. Graduate Students’ starting pay rate is $10.00 per hour.

                                                                                            back to top

How will I be paid?
Every two weeks, your supervisor submits a time sheet for you to the Financial Aid Payroll Office. After your first time sheet is submitted, you may have to wait up to 4 weeks for your first check. Subsequently, you will receive a paycheck every two weeks.

                                                                                            back to top

If I am unable to earn my entire award, will I be able to receive the rest of the money?
No. You can be paid only for the hours you have worked. If you cannot earn your entire FWS award before the end of the academic year, the unearned portion of your award is returned to the program.

                                                                                            back to top 

How many credits do I have to take for FWS eligibility?
You must register for and maintain an enrollment status of half-time (6 credits or equated credits) or greater to be eligible for FWS. If, for any reason, your course load falls below half-time, you can no longer participate in the program and must stop working.

                                                                                            back to top

Do I have to stop working if I withdraw from school?
Yes. If you withdraw from school for any reason, you lose your eligibility for FWS and must stop working.

                                                                                           back to top

I am currently receiving unemployment. Do I have to report FWS earnings to the unemployment office?
Yes. If you are receiving unemployment insurance benefits and are also employed in the FWS program, you must notify your local unemployment office that you are working in the FWS program. The New York State Department of Labor considers it willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are also receiving FWS.

                                                                                            back to top

Are FWS earnings taxable?
Yes. FWS earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments. However, FWS earnings are not included in the calculation of your eligibility for financial aid.

                                                                                           back to top

Why do I have to fill out an I-9 Form?
According to federal law, the identity and work eligibility of all FWS students must be verified before beginning a FWS assignment. You will have to complete an I-9 form and present certain documents to an appropriate FWS representative. You may not participate in the FWS program or BSEP program until you have filed an I-9 form with the Financial Aid Office.

                                                                                            back to top