Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
VPN Service Description and Instructions
(GlobalProtect SSL VPN)
** The Baruch VPN service and client has been upgraded to a new version (4.1.2)
on Monday, July 30, 2018 **
Access to administrative and academic support systems from non-University locations is allowed only through secure remote connections that provide unique user authentication and encrypted communications.
The Baruch College VPN service allows users to access Baruch College network services such as internal web servers, file servers or desktop computers from off-campus.
- Baruch College faculty and staff members
- External vendors/contractors currently engaged in contract work with the college
Baruch College Faculty and Staff
- The user must submit an e-mail to The Baruch College Help Desk answering the following questions:
- Is the computer Baruch-issued or your own computer?
- What operating system is installed on it?
- When was the last time you checked with the Operating System vendor (i.e., Microsoft or Apple) for system updates?
- What anti-virus software do you use?
If the equipment is Baruch/CUNY then McAfee must be installed and up-to-date. If the equipment is personally owned, you are entitled to a free copy of McAfee from the CUNY Portal. However if you do not use McAfee, you must have an up-to-date and licensed commercial anti-virus product.
- Do you have a current subscription for the anti-virus software?
- When was the last time you checked for anti-virus updates (or is it set to do updates automatically)?
- Do you plan on accessing Non-Public University Information as defined below? If yes, please describe the information and your intended use.
Non-Public University Information – For the purpose of these IT Security Procedures, the term “Non-Public University Information” means personally identifiable information (such as an individual’s Social Security Number; driver's license number or non-driver identification card number; account number, credit or debit card number, in combination with any required security code, access code, or password that would permit access to an individual’s financial account; personal electronic mail address; Internet identification name or password; and parent’s surname prior to marriage); information in student education records that is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and the related regulations set forth in 34 CFR Part 99; other information relating to the administrative, business, and academic activities and operations of the University (including employee evaluations, employee home addresses and telephone numbers, and other employee records that should be treated confidentially); and any other information available in University files and systems that by its nature should be treated confidentially.
- The e-mail must be cc’d to the user's department chair or administrative unit director.
- The user's department chair or administrative unit director must then confirm via an e-mail to The Baruch College Help Desk that the user is currently employed and should be provided a VPN account.
- Once both the e-mail from the user and the department chair or administrative unit director has been received, the request will be processed and the account created. The BCTC will follow up to confirm the account setup and provide information about using the VPN service.
- A department chair or administrative unit director must make the electronic or written request to the Baruch College Help Desk, with confirmation of the following:
- No Non-Public University Information (as explained above) will be accessed over the VPN.
- The requester must affirm that there is a contractual relationship between the college and the vendor.
- The department head/administrative unit director must also identify in the request:
- A period of time for which the VPN account should be permitted
- Acknowledge that an extension will require an additional request
- The proposed VPN user must also provide the following
- Confirmation from the proposed VPN user that he/she is using a Windows computer or a Mac OS X computer that is fully patched and running current anti-virus and anti-spyware software (stating the brand and release/version)
- The BCTC will need an authorization from the contracting entity permitting their representative to use the VPN.
- The BCTC will send an e-mail to the user confirming the account setup and additional information about using the VPN service.
To complete these instructions, you will need:
- An established internet connection to your ISP
- An Active Directory account with VPN permission
See Process for Obtaining VPN Access
- A computer running that meets the minimum system requirements
See System Requirements
- Windows 7 (32/64 bit), Windows 8 & 8.1(32/64bit), Windows 10 (32/64 bit)
- Administrator privileges on Windows Operating System
- Mac OS 10.8 - 10.12 Sierra
Please make it a point to upgrade the GlobalProtect VPN service. Going forward you will receive upgrade notices for the software. These upgrades are required for enhancd security or new features. If you need assistance in doing this, please do not hesitate the contact the Baruch College Help Desk.