Assessment at Baruch
In addition to the self-assessments currently being undertaken in Baruch's three schools, two co-curricular programs are being assessed as well: The Writing Center and the Student Academic Consulting Center's math tutoring program.
We are currently assessing the role that the Writing Center plays in student success here at Baruch. We seek to make evident the direct and indirect ways student writing performance is enhanced, as well as to demonstrate the contribution of the Center to the College through data that can be situated within the larger conversation on student learning outcomes. An essential aspect of this assessment process is the participation of students who have used the services offered by the Writing Center, in the form of surveys and followup interviews.
Specifically, this assessment seeks to answer the following questions:
- What influence does the Writing Center have on students' writing?
- What factors in one-to-one, face-to-face sessions do students believe to be most beneficial?
- Do the writing skills of students who go to the Writing Center differ from those of their peers who do not?
Student Academic Consulting Center - Math Tutoring
The purpose of this study is to assess the effectiveness of remedial math instruction offered by the Student Academic Consulting Center (SACC) to identify specific program aspects that contribute to positive student outcomes. Specifically, this study seeks to answer the following questions:
- What influence does SACC have on students’ math skills?
- What factors in courses do students believe to be most beneficial?
- Do students who go to SACC differ in their math skills from their peers who do not?