The Committees on Academic Standing
Each school has a committee on academic standing that adjudicate students’ appeals on academic matters. Each committee is composed of faculty and administrators.
Types of appeals handled by the committee:
- Retroactive Withdrawal (after the semester is over)
- Permission to Drop After the Deadline (within the semester)
- Extension to Complete Coursework
- Total Resignation
- Reinstatement (must be submitted by April 1st for Fall and November 1st for Spring)
- 3-Time Repeat of a Course
- Curricular Adjustment (substitution or waiver)
Appeals must be submitted to one of the following Committees on Academic Standing:
- Zicklin School of Business
- Weissman School of Arts & Sciences
- Marxe School of Public & International Affairs
- Joint Committee on Academic Standing (not officially in a school)
All requests should be documented with supporting evidence: medical notes, military papers, etc. The filing of an appeal does not guarantee a favorable decision; the committee weighs all the information presented by the student and arrives at a conclusion based upon the application of College rules and the appropriateness of the request. The student is informed in writing of the committee’s decision. Students do not appear before the committee.