Academic Policies

Academic Appeals


Each school has a committee on academic standing. These committees adjudicate students’ appeals in academic matters.  Each committee is composed of faculty, students, and administrators.  Information and appeal forms can be obtained in the Center for Academic Advisement and on the Web. These are examples of some of the appeals handled by the committee:

  • Request for a withdrawal or W grade in a course or total resignation of all courses after the deadline date to drop courses (10th week of the term)
  • Request for reinstatement if dismissed from Baruch College
  • Curricular adjustments or academic waivers
  • Change of grade initiated by the instructor

All requests should be documented with supporting evidence:  medical notes, military papers, etc.  The filing of an appeal does not guarantee a favorable decision; the committee weighs all the information presented by the student and arrives at a conclusion based upon the application of College rules and the appropriateness of the request. The student is informed in writing of the committee’s decision.  Students do not appear before the committee.