February 13, 2018
17 Lex Construction Status and Contact Information
To Students, Faculty, and Staff:
The Lawrence and Eris Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue is currently in the second year of a multi-phase project to renovate and modernize the historic home and sentimental heart of Baruch College. The project is being managed by Facilities Planning and Construction Management at The City University of New York (CUNY), and supervised by their onsite construction manager, the LiRo Group.
Initial Project Goals
The current construction period, which is referred to as Phase 1A, is scheduled to be completed in January 2020. It encompasses such critical infrastructure work as:
- Replacing the existing six elevators and building the foundation for three new elevators
- Installing a new roof to support a new mechanical plant that will include chillers, boiler upgrades, air handling units, and cooling tower
- Overhauling electrical service via a new electrical vault at 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue, and installing an emergency generator
- Building multiple, ground-to-roof risers that run through classrooms, offices, and corridors to serve as a future conduit for upgraded building systems
- Renovating the Lexington Avenue lobby to provide for:
- ADA access from the sidewalk and throughout the lobby
- Turnstiles with ID-card swipe access
- Improved security
- Enhanced lighting, including more natural light
- The foundation and shafts necessary for four new elevators, to be installed in a future phase
As the College community must adapt and adjust to the ongoing construction, it is important to be aware of how much progress has been made.
- Much of the basement has already been demolished. This was a necessary first step to lowering the lobby floor and creating new rooms for the mechanical equipment.
- Substantial progress has been made on the new electrical vault and risers.
- The building entrance has been moved from Lexington Avenue to 23rd Street to accommodate the renovation of the lobby and necessary elevator work.
The elevators must be renovated in sets. Two are taken offline at a time, renovated, and returned to service. The first set of elevators is currently undergoing renovations and is scheduled to be online in Fall 2018.
Safety and Compliance
The LiRo Group, CUNY’s construction manager, is responsible for ensuring that all contractors comply with strict regulations governing the health and safety of the building occupants and users. Baruch’s Campus Facilities or Public Safety offices respond immediately to any health and safety concerns brought to their attention, and direct LiRo to investigate and take any action necessary.
At Baruch’s request, LiRo has increased daily maintenance personnel and schedules in order to reduce dust and dirt throughout the building. As a reminder, students should alert faculty and staff to any concerns they have, and faculty and staff should contact the appropriate offices, as follows:
- Health and Safety
- Emergencies (such as leaks, floods, electrical outages, and spills)
- Building and Grounds (between 9 am and 5 pm): 646-660-6630
- Public Safety (all times): 646-660-6000
- Non-Emergency Facility Concerns
- Faculty and staff can place a work order with Buildings and Grounds using their logon credentials
- Room Temperature
- Building and Grounds (weekdays between 9 am and 5 pm): 646-660-6630
- Public Safety (after 5 pm and weekends): 646-660-6000
- Technology Matters
Thank You for Your Patience
Baruch College and CUNY are closely monitoring all aspects of the 17 Lex renovation to mitigate the impact to students and college activities as much as possible. But there is no denying that construction projects of this scale and duration are disruptive for all building occupants and users.
We appreciate the patience, flexibility, and understanding the campus community has shown so far. We will continue to keep you updated regarding the project’s progress and other matters as needed, and we are committed to responding quickly when a construction-related problem is identified.
Katharine T. Cobb
Vice President, Administration and Finance